The 28th Annual Harry Burke Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Special Education and The Anne Lipnick Inclusion for All Award
- 05/09/2014 - ACPS Special Education Teachers Receive Awards at 28th Annual Ceremony
- 05/02/2014 - 2014 Nominees for the Harry Burke Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Special Education and the Anne Lipnick Inclusion for All Award
Nominees must be full-time teachers or paraprofessionals (pre-school through grade 12) in an Alexandria City Public School.
Nominees must be teachers or paraprofessionals who demonstrate:
- Excellence in performance of duties
- Achievements with a positive impact on students in special education
- Superior understanding of the individual needs and abilities of students
- An ability to foster self-esteem and inspire achievement
- An ability to involve parents in the special education of their children
Nominations may be submitted by current or former students, parents, teachers, administrators or community members. Teachers may not nominate themselves. Nomination materials should include:
- A description of contributions for each nomination criterion
- Two statements of support from other individuals
Awards shall be granted as follows:
- To one special educator at the primary level (pre-school through elementary)
- To one special educator at the secondary level (middle school or high school)
- To an outstanding paraprofessional at any level
- To a general education teacher who demonstrates a commitment to inclusive practices in all educational environments
The deadline for nominations is Tuesday, April 1, 2014. Nomination packets should be submitted to:
Office of Special Education Services
Alexandria City Public Schools
2000 N. Beauregard Street
Alexandria, VA 22311
Or via e-mail to
An independent committee will review all nominations received by April 1, 2014 and select award recipients. All nominees will be honored at a reception on Thursday, May 8 at 6 p.m. in the 6th Floor conference room of the Central Office building located at 2000 N. Beauregard Street. Award winners will be announced at the School Board Meeting which follows, beginning at 7 p.m.
Award winners will be selected without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital or parental status.
- Nomination Information Flier
- Learn About Harry Burke and Anne Lipnick
- List of Past Harry Burke Outstanding Achievement in Special Education Award Recipients
- Special Education Advisory Committee Members
If you have any questions, please contact Lisa Shaw, Special Education Advisory Committee, at or 703-839-3767.