New Jefferson-Houston PreK-8 Project
The next concrete work is planned for Tuesday, Dec. 10 (weather permitting) from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
SCHOOL TOURS: If you would like a tour of Jefferson-Houston School and/or the construction site of the new building, please contact Mark Eisenhour at 703-772-1072 or .
For the latest information on the Jefferson-Houston School of the Future, send your e-mail address to Mark Eisenhour at to be added to the official ACPS Jefferson-Houston e-mail list.
- Archaeology Report
- Presentation from November 4, 2013 Community Meeting
- Jefferson-Houston School: A Story of Promise
Update: December 6, 2013
The next Community Engagement Committee meeting will be held on Monday, Jan. 6 at 7 p.m. in the Jefferson-Houston Library.
- Concrete pours continue. The next concrete pour is scheduled for Tuesday, Dec. 10. We have one more ground floor pour to complete (gymnasium) and several more on the second and third floor.
- The exterior stairwell on the pool side of the building has reached the third floor and should be complete next week.
- A second stairwell which will provide rooftop access is now being constructed on the Jefferson Village side of the school.
- Wall framing continues with the installation of the fiber glass waterproof layer, brackets and insulation.
- Thousands of red bricks have arrived and will begin to be installed very soon.
- The steel framing has progressed all the way to West street with the completion of the two story section housing the theatre, rehearsal spaces and library at the terminus of Queen street. The crane will soon be moved and the one story section will begin to take shape.
We are reaching a critical phase in the project and will be completing several more concrete pours in the near future. We have three remaining "slab on grade" (ground floor) pours. Due to the fact that these pours are conducted outside and exposed to the elements a longer period of time is needed to complete the finishing and curing of the concrete. As a result we are very likely to work beyond normal work hours. As soon as we have firm pour dates we will forward these to the list serve and website.
Once we move on to above grade pours we will be better able to enclose the affected area and control the temperature. This will reduce the amount of time for finishing and curing. The total number of days required to complete all concrete pours is 11 and we will provide as much notice as possible before each pour.