Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID)
Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) is a system to prepare students in the academic middle for four-year college eligibility. It has a proven track record in bringing out the best in students, and in closing the achievement gap.
AVID targets students who are typically under-represented in four year colleges, students in the academic middle (2.0-3.5), and those who may be the first generation in the family to attend college. All AVID students who have the desire to take part in this ongoing elective course are required to complete an application and take part in an interview prior to being selected. For more information on the nation-wide success of this 30+ year old program, visit www.avid.org.
In its fifth year in ACPS, the AVID elective class is available to students in grades 7-12 at Francis C. Hammond Middle School, George Washington Middle School, and T.C. Williams High School. Current enrollment is at 360 students, a 20% increase from last year.
January marks the recruitment season for AVID across the division. We are excited to announce the expansion of the AVID elective to grade 6, thus, providing an opportunity for 6th-12th graders to take part in AVID beginning in school year 2014-2015. Interested students who meet the criteria are required to complete an application and take part in an onsite interview. Students in grade 5 will hear more about the AVID elective course during their orientation visit to each middle school campus. Parent and staff information sessions will also take place during the recruitment timeline through April. Staff and community members can also recommend specific students for recruitment. For more information on recruitment, contact Jodie Peters at .
Parent Information Meetings
Spring rising AVID 6 recruitment and information sessions took place during the month of February at each elementary school. Additional parent information sessions are scheduled for March 11 at GW and March 13 at Francis C. Hammond both beginning at 6:15 p.m. These sessions are marked for student recruits who meet the initial criteria for AVID.
- Mar. 15: FCH 8th grade to University of Maryland
- Mar. 2: FCH 7th grade to GM
- Apr. 1: GW 8th grade to JMU
- Apr. 5: TC 10th-11th grade to IBMA College at Gar-Field High School
- Apr. 10: GW 8th grade to VCU
- Great Showing by AVID Students at HBCU Festival
- ACPS AVID Newsletters: Fall 2013 | Winter 2014
- Recruitment Begins for Expanded AVID Program
- AVID Seniors Visit Three Hampton Roads Colleges
- Assorted Activities Keep AVID Students Busy during Holiday Season
- T.C. Williams AVID Students Kick off the 2013-14 School Year by Volunteering
- ACPS AVID Teams Dream Big at AVID Summer Institute
- AVID Students Participate in College Fair and Hear Motivational Speakers
AVID District Director/IB MYP Division Coordinator
Alexandria City Public Schools
1508 Mount Vernon Avenue/ALL Center
Alexandria, VA 22301