Response to Intervention
Response to Intervention (RtI) is a framework for providing evidenced-based, high-quality instruction and interventions through a multi-tiered support service delivery model. The goal is to meet the needs of all students and provide immediate interventions to at-promise students and students in need of enrichment through the use of on-going data-based instructional decision making.
During the spring of 2009, schools were provided with the option to apply to be a pilot school for the upcoming school year. As such, during the 2010-2011 school year, we began with five pilot schools to include John Adams Elementary School, Charles Barrett Elementary School, Mount Vernon Community School, James K. Polk Elementary School, and T.C. Williams High School Minnie Howard Campus.
This school year, we have expanded our implementation to include Jefferson-Houston School, Douglas MacArthur Elementary School, Francis Hammond Middle School 1, Francis Hammond Middle School 2, Francis Hammond Middle School 3, George Washington Middle School 1, and George Washington Middle School 2. We will continue our implementation during the 2012-2013 school with the inclusion of 7 more schools.
Because implementation cannot occur overnight, ACPS schools will follow the Stages of Implementation, which include exploration, installation, initial implementation, full implementation, innovation and sustainability.
By June 2012, the 12 RtI schools will have administered universal screening and progress monitoring tools in the areas of Reading and Mathematics, use the data from these tools as well as others to inform their instruction, revise and refine the core instruction if necessary, and develop and implement a framework involving research-proven interventions for students who are at-promise.
ACPS RtI Schools
- John Adams Elementary School
- Charles Barrett Elementary School
- Jefferson-Houston School
- Douglas MacArthur Elementary School
- Mount Vernon Community School
- James K. Polk Elementary School
- Francis C. Hammond Middle School 1
- Francis C. Hammond Middle School 2
- Francis C. Hammond Middle School 3
- George Washington Middle School 1
- George Washington Middle School 2
- T.C. Williams High School Minnie Howard Campus
To learn more, please review the following resources:
- A Family Guide to Response to Intervention (RtI)
- Roadmap to PreK RtI
- The ABCs of RtI: A Guide for Parents
- Meeting the Needs of Significantly Struggling Learners in High School: A Look at Approaches to Tiered Intervention
- National Center for Response to Intervention
- RtI Action Network
- ACPS Key Terms Regarding Response to Intervention
- ACPS RtI Brochure
- School Based Stages of Implementation
- Division Based Stages of Implementation
Resources to support the Implementation of RtI in ACPS
Response to Intervention Coordinator
Office of PreK-12 Programs
Alexandria City Public Schools
2000 North Beauregard
Alexandria, Virginia 22311