Substitute Teacher Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- evidence of a negative tuberculin test (or chest x-ray)
- a completed online application
- successful completion of an interview
- attend an orientation session (see below)
- criminal background check — at the orientation session, you will schedule an appointment to return for fingerprinting (the cost to the applicant is $44)
ACPS is no longer interviewing substitutes for the 2013-2014 school year.
Substitute orientations will be held in the Alexandria City Public Schools' Central Office at 2000 North Beauregard Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22311. New substitutes are to attend this orientation session only after they have completed an interview.
New substitute teachers will be paid only upon becoming an active substitute in our system and working at least one day. Payment for the orientation session will be included in the first paycheck.
The schedule for the orientation is as follows:
|8:30 a.m.||General Information - SAM System|
|9:00 a.m.||Classroom Management - Best Practices|
|10:45 a.m.||Instructional Planning|
|12:00 p.m.||Lunch (on your own)|
|1:00 p.m.||ESL Training|
|2:15 p.m.||Special Education Training|
Agendas are subject to change.