Substitute Teacher Qualifications and Requirements
- a minimum of 60 hours of college credit
- evidence of a negative tuberculin test (or chest x-ray)
- a completed online application
- successful completion of an interview
- attend an orientation session (see below)
- criminal background check — at the orientation session, you will schedule an appointment to return for fingerprinting (the cost to the applicant is $44)
If you have completed your online application and you wish to be considered, please call 703-619-8320 to inquire about scheduling an interview.
Upon successful completion of an interview, a mandatory Substitute Orientation will be held in the Alexandria City Public Schools' Central Office, on the fifth floor at 1340 Braddock Place, Alexandria, VA 22314.
New substitute teachers will be paid only upon becoming an active substitute in our system and working at least one day. Payment for the orientation session will be included in the first paycheck.
The schedule for the orientation is as follows:
|8:30 a.m.||General Information - SAM System|
|9:00 a.m.||Classroom Management - Best Practices|
|10:45 a.m.||Instructional Planning|
|12:00 p.m.||Lunch (on your own)|
|1:00 p.m.||ESL Training|
|2:15 p.m.||Special Education Training|
Agendas are subject to change.