Dual Language Program
The Mount Vernon dual language program provides students with a rigorous learning experience in Spanish and English that is both culturally and linguistically responsive. Our dual language students will become bilingual, biliterate, and culturally competent learners who demonstrate high academic achievement in all areas.
Two classes each of kindergartners through fifth-graders at Mount Vernon Community School participate in an exciting program that will eventually give students the advantage of literacy in two languages: Spanish and English. The Spanish/English Dual Language Program is voluntary for both Spanish- and English-speaking children.
The program is based on the best knowledge and practices of such programs across the country. Here are some highlights:
- Instruction in selected core subjects is conducted in Spanish and English (each core area is taught using one of the languages). Almost fifty percent of the students' day is taught in Spanish, and the other time (including language arts and specials) is taught in English.
- Students continue to develop language and literacy skills in their primary language while learning the same in their second language.
- Students are expected to meet academic standards in all core subject areas like their peers in other Alexandria City elementary schools. Those not able to do so are taught using other methods until they achieve the standards.
- Students are developing an enriching multicultural perspective through exposure to each other's languages and cultures, which will enhance their appreciation of diversity. This appreciation will help them succeed in the 21st century, both in the community and in the workplace.
- Parents are asked to participate in their child's schooling through volunteering and in other ways.
To enroll your child in this exciting Dual Language Program, contact the school at 703-706-4460.