Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI)
All VPI slots for the 2016-2017 school year have been filled. Families interested in being placed on the waiting list should call 703-619-8353.
ACPS offers free pre-k to qualifying families through the Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI). The purpose of VPI is to provide quality preschool programs for at-risk four-year olds. VPI is a program designed for families who might not otherwise be able to access quality early childhood education opportunities.
What is VPI?
- Full day classes for 4-year-old children from 8:00 a.m. to 2:35 p.m.
- Certified teachers with degrees in early childhood education.
- Play-based curriculum with emphasis on facilitating language development, social skills, problem solving skills and physical development.
- Literacy, math, science, social studies, art, music and physical activities are incorporated into all aspects of the daily routine.
- Breakfast, snack and lunch provided.
ACPS VPI programs are located at John Adams, William Ramsay, and Patrick Henry elementary schools, and Jefferson-Houston School.
- Child must be four years old by September 30.
- Child must reside in the City of Alexandria.
- Most families qualify for the program based on their income, but other risk factors may also be considered.
VPI Pre-registration Process
Please print and complete the following registration forms:
- Student Registration Form:
English | Español
- Home Language Survey
- School Entrance Health Form
- Student Health Information Form:
English | Español
Pre-kindergarten Registration Checklist:
Bring the completed forms and all verification documents on the checklist to:
1340 Braddock Place
Alexandria, VA 22314
Monday through Friday, between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.
The Pre-K registrar will assist you with the application process and administer the at-risk assessment. For more information call 703-619-8353.