T.C. Williams Parker-Gray Stadium
ACPS is in the process of modernizing the Parker-Gray Memorial Stadium at T.C. Williams High School. As student enrollment continues to grow, there is an increasing need for modern facilities that meet the needs of the current and future student population, our athletics programs and the marching band. The aim is to create a multi-use facility that will serve the needs of Alexandria’s only public high school and our community.
The design includes:
- The addition of an eighth lane on the track
- Replacement of the artificial turf
- The addition of restrooms
- A new concession stand
- A ticket booth
- Replacement of the score board and placement on the other end of the field
- Egress safety lighting
- A new press box to replace the condemned one on the other side of the field to improve the quality of lighting for images and video for media.
- Field lighting
- An upgraded the sound system to comply with the City of Alexandria’s Noise Ordinance, enhance the quality of the sound, disperse the sound via multiple speakers and direct it away from houses along the fence line.
There have been six community meetings held around the design of the new stadium. In addition, four smaller meetings have been held with specific groups to resolve concerns that have arisen during the community engagement process.
The design team made the following adjustments in line with community requests as a result of the community engagement process:
- Separated the concessions from restroom/storage building to minimize massing of structures and spectators.
- Moved the footprint of the restroom/storage building to the north to create more space between the building and adjacent property line.
- Flipped the restroom and storage facility to maximize the distance of the restrooms from nearby houses.
- Added a new score board and moved its location.
- Conducted a sound study to ensure the least disturbance possible from the new sound system.
- Resolved the new location of the ticket booth.
- Discussed options around installing higher poles to minimize the glare from field lighting. The original design complied with the City Ordinance of 60 feet. ACPS is intending to work with the City over the summer to request a change to the ordinance to increase the height of the poles to 70 feet and 80 feet to further minimize glare.
Community meetings have been recorded and can be viewed below. A final community meeting will be held in late spring around stadium usage and scheduling use of the field. If you have questions regarding the stadium, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
July 19. 2019 - St. James Announcement
ACPS is excited to announce that T.C. Williams High School will be able to play its football games indoors at the St. James - brand new state of the art sports facility that just opened last year in Springfield, VA. - this fall. Learn More.
July 19, 2019 - Tentative construction timeline:
*DSUP Final permit application to City: April 2019
*DSUP anticipated permit: August / September 2019
*Anticipated contract award: September 2019
*Commence construction (track, field, press box, ticket booth): October 2019
*Commence construction (lights): April 2020
*Project completion: August 2020
June 10, 2019 - Neighbor Forum Meeting Notes
6:00pm - Tour Notes --- Finnigan, Parker & Ignacio led tour.
Gates - Arm needs to be fixed and ONLY used for emergency. Coaches, students and staff should not be parking illegally in the back of the school (as was happening during the tour).
Landscaping Concerns Observed
- Weeds - Weeds around the facility and the stadium is not being done by BrightView. Weeds are also out of control along the fence line, under the bleachers and around the facility.
- Trash along the fence line isn’t getting picked up and the fence line isn’t being kept clean and mowed.
- Dead trees need to be removed.
- Would like to look into the possibility of moving the concession stand and saving the old oak tree that’s been there for many years.
- Clean up around current concession stand and weeding near the stadium stands - home side.
Field Usage - Who will be approving permits and monitoring the field usage? People are always playing on the field (usually adults from MD with no permit and security refuses to move them).
Traffic Study - Has ACPS completed a traffic study to determine how many cars our garage and Chinquapin can park? The do not want night game overflow in their communities.
Scoreboard - Would like to know exactly where the scoreboard will be located.
Noise - Mr. Goff and others continue to be concerned about the noise in the stadium as well as the new sound system.
7:00pm - Meeting Notes
Notes from Last Meeting - Goff - request to add to the notes from April 3 - Add to noise. Not just speakers. Fans, whistles, players, band, cheering, etc. The combination of these noises is the concern in totality. Balas sent in request to have the addition made to the April notes.
Noise simulations were not done during actual games. Finnigan suggested sharing report. New sound system will be clearer and more audible. There is nothing that can be done regarding the fans cheering. What can wait is the announcements until fan noise dies down.
Bill Goff elected chair of the group.
Current Schedule of Stadium Project- John Finnigan
- We are about to submit second round based on comments.
- We have construction documents close to ready to put out for bids. Selection process for selection of a firm is projected in Fall 2019, which would need School Board approval.
- Starting work in Fall also presents issues around weather.
Question: Noren - How does lawsuit impact the start date?
- ACPS is in constant contact with lawyers to guide the process. Project should proceed.
Question: Goff - How much money has the SB allocated?
- ACPS does not know the actual figure. Will try to find out. Goff expresses concern about potentially going over (like the tennis courts).
Parking Concerns - Noren - Encourage students to not park in neighborhoods.
- Maybe need more space in Chinquapin. Trash left in neighborhoods. Students allegedly having sex in cars.
Mackey-Lewis - Be more cognizant of safety around near where the neighbors fence line is. Increase security around where the neighbors houses are.
Flemming - Thanks TC admin for being responsive to concerns expressed. Thanks Parker for keeping noise (sound) down.
Noren - Encourage police to come around periodically to address speeding students in cars.
Students have half day schedules. Increased foot traffic around mid-day is normal.
Goff - Concerned about graffiti and possible gang activity. ACPS responds not seeing this in school currently.
Updates on Summer Use of Building and Field
- Spring season over
- Some football 7x7
- Summer school July 8 - August 2
- Practice starts August 1 - Mondays thru Fridays afternoon.
- No permitted use on field other than teams
- Most likely will not be playing games here at home depending on construction. As of now, planning to be off site.
- Looking into possibly playing at St James.
Concerns about people/groups using field without permit. Neighbors can call ACPS Security - 703-824-6690. Mr. Parker will email weekly all summer to update on approved activities on the field.
Next Date and Time of Meeting - Will be decided electronically by committee members.
- Possible Agenda Topics for Next Meeting
Possibility of Traffic Study - for the purposes of the potential impact of Friday Night Lights games - traffic and parking on neighborhood.
Goff - Broaden Scope - should we have other representatives here?
May 6, 2019 - An Update on the Modernization of Parker-Gray Stadium at T.C. Williams High School
In October, the City Council approved the modernization of the Parker-Gray Stadium at T.C. Williams High School.
The resolution included many conditions, several of which were aimed at ensuring minimal discomfort to the surrounding neighborhood during the stadium modernization and addressing neighborhood concerns. ACPS and the City are working together to ensure that we are in compliance with all the conditions.
ACPS has continued to move forward with the construction drawings for the stadium modernization and preparation for the permitting process. We were intending to complete the construction work by the end of the summer, however due to the natural back and forth of the permitting and review process, the work will now start this summer instead of the spring.
The work will be comprised of three components:
- Stadium facilities: New ticket booth; concession stand; restrooms
- Stadium modernization: Track upgrades, sound system; scoreboard; press box
- Stadium lighting: Egress lighting; field lighting
The athletics field will not be able to be used during the main part of the construction. The Athletics Department is working with our ACPS partners to make sure that all practices and games can be held at neighboring facilities. We apologize in advance for this inconvenience and know that this is not ideal for our athletes. We will keep you updated on these changes and the progress of this project as we get more information.
Thank you for your patience. If you have questions, please reach out to the ACPS Office of Communications at email@example.com.April 3, 2019 - Neighborhood Forum:January 29, 2019According to the current schedule for the modernization of the Parker-Gray Stadium, construction on the concession stand and ticket booth will begin in late April 2019. Work on the track and field replacement (including the press box, sound system, lights and other elements) will begin after school is out in June.ACPS is in the process of setting up an initial meeting with the new advisory group.October 2018
The City Council established the T.C. Williams Neighborhood Forum in alignment with condition #106 of DSUP #2017-0016: Parker Gray Stadoum Modernization at T.C. Williams High School.Condition #106 states: To provide a permanent forum for the discussion and resolution of neighborhood issues that arise as a result of the impacts on the adjacent neighborhood from the ongoing operation of the high school and stadium, ACPS shall establish and coordinate a T.C. Williams Neighborhood Forum. The members of the Forum from ACPS will include the Principal, Athletic Director, Director of Facilities and Operations for T.C. Williams, and the ACPS Chief Operating Officer or designee. The Forum shall include up to four residents of the adjacent neighborhoods, including at least one on Bishops Lane and one on Woods Place, each of which will jointly serve, for a term not to exceed two years, to assist in the coordination of meetings and topics for discussion. The adjacent neighborhood representatives to the Forum will select a chair from the neighbors of the school, for a term not to exceed two years, to assist in the coordination of meetings and topics for discussion. The Forum will meet quarterly to include a walking tour of the school site at each meeting with the above-stated representatives in attendance. The Forum will provide a report of the quarterly meetings and walking tours to the School Board and to Planning and Zoning staff no later than two weeks following the meetings. (P&Z) (PC) (DSUP2017-0016).
October 13, 2018
The final design was approved by City Council on Saturday, October 13.
October 11, 2018 - School Board Meeting:
The School Board passed a resolution on October 11, 2018 to commit to the conditions set out by the Planning Commission.
October 2, 2018
The final design for the upgraded stadium was approved by the Planning Commission on October 2, 2018.
June 20, 2018 - Community Meeting
March 13, 2018 - Community Meeting:
November 27, 2017 - Community Meeting:
September 25, 2017 - Community Meeting:
May 22, 2017 - Community Meeting:
March 21, 2017 - Community Meeting:
Febuary 13, 2017 - Community Meeting: