Ferdinand T. Day Elementary School
Ferdinand T. Day Elementary School is the newest school in ACPS. The school opened in Fall 2018 for 650 K-5 students.
Check the Attendance Zone Locator to see the attendance boundaries for this school.
The building is the first in Alexandria to be retrofitted into a school. The school was completed just 11 months after the City Council approved the change of use. The second phase of the construction is to add a gym over the street between the parking lot and the school.
News and Updates:
- Large Community Turnout for Ferdinand T. Day Dedication Ceremony
- Ferdinand T. Day Elementary School Ready for the First Day of School
- Bringing the New Ferdinand T. Day Elementary School to Life
- School Board chooses Ferdinand T. Day Elementary School for name of new West End school, February 23, 2018
- West End School Name Down to Final Options, February 4, 2018
- Update to the School Board, January 5, 2018: Details about the selection of STEM as a key theme for the West End Elementary School.
- Interim Superintendent Announces New West End Elementary School Principal, January 1, 2018
- New West End School Naming Committee has been tasked with recommending names for the new school
- City Council Endorses Conversion of Vacant Office Space into Alexandria’s Newest School, September 17, 2018
- Presentation from the May 16, 2017 Community Meeting (PDF)
- Community Engagement Begins for New West End School, January 13, 2017
- Draft Transportation Analysis Study (PDF) and Appendices (PDF)
Construction Notice Information: