Anne R. Lipnick Awards for Specialized Instruction
Alexandria City Public Schools is seeking nominations for the Anne R. Lipnick Awards for Specialized Instruction.
The ACPS Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) coordinates this awards program to provide an opportunity for parents, guardians and special educators to acknowledge and honor the work of outstanding special educators, general education teachers, related service providers and paraprofessionals whose classroom and therapeutic practices exemplify excellence in specialized instruction in the spirit of true inclusion.
Three Anne Lipnick Awards for Specialized Instruction
- Specialized Instruction: The outstanding special education instructor or related service provider who shows extraordinary abilities in the development of instructional or social practices that promote achievement and participation for students receiving special education services
- Inclusion: The outstanding general education teacher who demonstrates exemplary inclusionary practices.
- Paraprofessional Support: The outstanding paraprofessional who consistently goes above and beyond in their engagements with special education students.
If you know of an ACPS employee who has made a significant difference in the education of a child receiving special education services, please consider nominating that person for the award.
Nominees must be teachers, related service providers (i.e. speech, language, occupational or physical therapists, etc.), or paraprofessionals serving kindergarten through grade 12, who have worked in the Alexandria City Public Schools for a minimum of one year.
A nominee should be someone who has consistently provided outstanding service to advance the success of students receiving special education services. The nominee should be recognized as going above and beyond the requirements. Areas of excellence might include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing recognized leadership in the school in the development of instructional or social practices that promote achievement and participation for students receiving special education services.
- Implementing exceptional teaching practices in the classroom which enable achievement and participation for students receiving special education services.
- Providing outstanding support to colleagues throughout the school or district in their efforts to advance special education services for students with disabilities
- Ensuring that students with disabilities are encouraged to participate in before and after school activities and that they have the supports necessary for their inclusion.
- Achievements with a positive impact on students in special education and an extraordinary ability to actively engage parents in the education of their children.
- Superior understanding of the individual needs and abilities of students and an ability to foster self-esteem and inspire achievement.
Nominations may be made by anyone associated with Alexandria City Public Schools as a parent, colleague or administrator within the district. Multiple nominations for the same nominee are permitted if submitted by separate individuals.
- Complete the online form and write a nominating statement of 500 words or less.
- Be sure the click the Submit button at the bottom of the page.
- Nominating Statements are provided to award recipients and may be shared in part or in their entirety in public forums. Information about nominators, however, will not be shared with award recipients.
Nominations for the 2021-2022 school year will be accepted beginning in Spring 2022.
About Anne Lipnick