AVID Class of 2018 accomplished amazing things!
The cohort of 40 who had an average GPA of 3.2, amassed more than $1.3 million in scholarships alone. These seniors have a collective 125 college acceptances at more than eighty-five colleges and universities. To date, no less than nine students have received full tuition/room and board at a higher education institution, equivalent to a “full ride.”
Approximately 80% of these seniors have been enrolled in AVID since their freshman year and have embodied the “AVID way.” Ninety-seven percent of these students took both the ACT and SAT and 100% completed four-year college entrance requirements and the FAFSA (if eligible).
Four T.C. Williams High School AVID students were chosen to be AVID student leaders at the annual AVID Summer Institute being held in Philadelphia, Pa. this summer.
- Seventy-five percent of these students have been part of AVID for five years or more.
- One student is a STEM Presidential Scholar and will attend Virginia State with full tuition paid
- One student received a full scholarship to Cornell University with acceptance into the engineering program
- Two students received full scholarships to attend Georgetown University
- More than 30 percent of the class received a scholarship
- The top six schools that this year’s graduate will attend are: Northern Virginia Community College, George Mason University, James Madison University, University of Virginia, Virginia Tech and Old Dominion University