State of Virginia Diploma Seals
Governor’s Seal is awarded to students who complete the requirements for an Advanced Studies Diploma with an average grade of B or better and successfully complete college-level coursework that will earn the student at least nine transferable college credits in Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), Cambridge, or dual enrollment courses.
Board of Education Seal is awarded to students who complete the requirements for a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma with an average grade of A.
Board of Education’s Career and Technical Education Seal is to students who
- earn a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma complete a prescribed sequence of courses in a career and technical education concentration or specialization that they choose and maintain a B or better average in those courses
- OR pass an examination or an occupational competency assessment in a career and technical education concentration or specialization that confers certification or occupational competency credential from a recognized industry, trade, or professional association
- OR acquire a professional license in that career and technical education field from the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Board of Education shall approve all professional licenses and examinations used to satisfy these requirements.
Board of Education’s Excellence in Civics Education Seal is awarded to students who meet each of the following criteria
- earn a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma;
- complete Virginia and United States History and Virginia and United States Government courses with a grade of B or higher;
- have good attendance and no disciplinary infractions as determined by local school board policies
- complete 25 hours of voluntary participation in community service or extracurricular activities such as volunteering for a charitable or religious organization that provides services to the poor, sick, or less fortunate; participating in Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, or similar youth organizations; participating in JROTC; participating in political campaigns or government internships, or Boys State, Girls State, or Model General Assembly; participating in school-sponsored extracurricular activities that have a civics focus. Any student who enlists in the United States military prior to graduation will be deemed to have met this community service requirement.
Application for Excellence in Civics Education Seal (PDF) (includes documentation for community service requirement)
Board of Education’s Seal of Biliteracy
The Board of Education’s Seal of Biliteracy will be awarded to students who earn a Standard or Advanced Studies diploma and
- pass all required End-of-Course Assessments in English reading and writing at the proficient or higher level;
- and demonstrate proficiency at the intermediate-mid level or higher in one or more languages other than English, as demonstrated through an assessment from a list to be approved by the Superintendent of Public Instruction. American Sign Language qualifies as a language other than English.
Board of Education’s Seal for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
The Board of Education’s Seal for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) will be awarded to students who earn a Standard or Advanced Studies diploma and
- satisfy all Math and Science requirements for the Advanced Studies diploma with a "B" average or better in all course work, and successfully complete a 25-hour or more work-based learning opportunity in a STEM area; and
- satisfy all requirements for a Career and Technical Education concentration. A concentration is a coherent sequence of two or more state-approved CTE courses and passes one of the following: a Board of Education CTE STEM-H credential examination, or an examination approved by the Board that confers a college-level credit in a STEM field.
Application for STEM Seal (PDF) (includes documentation for work-based learning requirement).
Board of Education’s Seal for Excellence in Science and the Environment is awarded to students who meet each of the following criteria:
- earn either a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma;
- complete at least three different first-level board-approved laboratory science courses and at least one rigorous advanced-level or postsecondary-level laboratory science course, each with a grade of “B” or higher;
- complete laboratory or field-science research and present that research in a formal, juried setting; and
- complete at least 50 hours of voluntary participation in community service or extracurricular activities that involve the application of science such as environmental monitoring, protection, management, or restoration.
Application for Science and the Environment Seal (PDF) (includes documentation for community service / extracurricular activity requirement)