Welcome to Mount Vernon Community School, the only full dual language school in ACPS!

    Main Office Phone: 703-706-4460 School Website: www.acps.k12.va.us/mtvernon


    What time does school start and end?

    • School doors open at 7:40 AM. Class begins at 8:00 AM and ends at 2:35 PM.
    • Breakfast is available to all students.
    • Students are dismissed at 12:35 PM on school days marked for early dismissal. Please refer to the traditional school calendar for specific dates.
    • Students enrolled in the Campagna Kids after-school program will be dismissed to Campagna at 2:41 PM. 

    What if my child is late for school?

    • If your child arrives after 8:00 AM, they must be checked in at the main office.
    • Please check in with the Registrar in the front office to sign in your child and so that your child is given a tardy pass.
    • It is important to get your child to school on time; we appreciate your effort to do so.

    How do I report an absence?

    • If your child is marked absent, you will receive an automatic phone call from the school asking you to notify the school about the absence. These calls typically are made between 9:30 AM and 10:00 AM. To prevent receiving this call, notify the school by calling the main office between 7:30 AM and 9:00 AM. Call: 703-706-4460
    • You may also report an absence by emailing the School Registrar with child’s first and last name and reason for the absence. Email: gabriela.alfaro@acps.k12.va.us
    • When your child returns to school, you may send a doctor note explaining the absence. If your child returns to school with limited mobility (cast, crutches, etc.) there must be a doctor note stating what activity is allowed for both recess and PE. We require another doctor’s note to allow normal activity to resume once your child has improved/healed.
    • An absence is considered excused for illnesses, doctor, legal appointments, family emergencies, and religious reasons. You may see MVCS’s attendance guidelines & expectations by visiting the school’s website and clicking on “Our School” then clicking on “School Policies”
    • If the absence is extended, you may contact your teacher for any work or material needed to complete while at home. If the teacher confirms they will provide it, you may pick up any work from the main office at the end of the school day.
    • Planned extended absences must be approved by the school principal. Please be advised that your child will be withdrawn from school if absent for more than 15 consecutive school days. You will be required to provide proof of Alexandria City residency again upon return.

    What supplies does my child need?

    • A list of supplies for each grade level may be found on our school’s website.

    What after-school programs are available?

    • The Campagna Center has a kids program for after-school from 2:35 PM until 6:00 PM. Their staff is sent to our school to watch your child. This program requires separate registration, which may be done at their main office at 418 South Washington Street. Please contact their main office at 703-549-0111 for more information.
    • YMCA is a program that offers after school care with shuttle service directly from Mount Vernon after school. For more information, you may call 703-838-8085.
    • Mount Vernon Recreation Center is next door to our school and they offer after-school care. You may register with them directly in person. Please call 703-746-5478 for details and for registration date.
    • Creative Play School has an after school care program located at 100 E Windsor Ave. Their staff is sent to our school to pick up your child. For details and enrollment, please call 703-836-7090.        

    What happens during inclement weather or emergencies?

    • School closing announcements due to inclement weather or emergencies are publicized in the following ways:
      • ACPS Website
      • Twitter, Facebook, Storify: @ACPSk12
      • Sign up for e-mail or text alerts
      • ACPS Emergency Hotline: 703-866-5300
      • ACPS-TV (Channel 71 in Alexandria City) and local television and radio stations
    • Information is announced as early as possible through the ACPS Office of Communications. If there is no news broadcasted about closings, then schools will open and close at normal times.
    • The opening or closing of the federal or Alexandria City government does not cause the opening or closing of schools.
    • Two-hour delayed openings: Classes begin at 10:00 AM. Breakfast is served promptly at 9:30 am.
    • Early closings: ALL students are dismissed at 12:35 PM (two-hour). All after-school activities and evening events are canceled & Campagna is closed when school closes early due to weather.
    • When school closes at normal time but after school activities are cancelled due to inclement weather, please contact Campagna Center for their closing hours at 703-549-0070 or you may email tsellers@campagnacenter.org.

    Will my child get lunch?

    •  This year(2021-2022); Breakfast and Lunch is available free for all students in ACPS.
    • You may fill out a lunch application for free/ reduced lunch at the beginning of the year. You will receive notification via U.S. mail. 

    Will my child be riding the school bus?

    • If you qualify for transportation, you will receive notification by U.S. mail with your bus # and bus route.
    • If you move and need a new bus stop, it is imperative that you change your address with the school in order for the Transportation Department to assign your child to a new bus route. Please be advised that transportation changes/ requests have a 3 day processing time and a transportation form must be completed and submitted to the school for approval. 

    How can I best contact my child’s teacher?

    • You will get a chance to talk to the teacher and learn how your child is doing in class during the Parent-Teacher conferences held at the end of the first and second academic quarters. Teachers will reach out to you to schedule a time to meet.
    • You may e-mail teachers; e-mails may be found on the “Mount Vernon Staff” page of our website.
    • You may also send a written note to your teacher in your child’s “Thursday” folder or agenda.
    • School and/or PTA notices and important information will be sent home in your child’s “Thursday” folder.
    • Please be aware that teachers may need 24 hours to return your call or reply to your e-mail as they are teaching your child during the school day.

    How does my child receive Talented and Gifted (TAG) services?

    • Parents or teachers may refer your child for TAG services.
    • Eligibility requirements include a teacher observation and a gifted rating scale.
    • The first quarter of school, or first 30 days your child attends school, is the best time for a teacher to observe your child, as well as for your child to get accustomed to our school routines.
    • Please visit for more information.

    Does Mount Vernon have Summer school?

    • We have a Summer Language Academy* in the month of July. Upcoming dates and school location will be determined at a later date. 

    Does Mount Vernon have K Prep week?                          

    • Kindergarten Prep week will be determined at a later date. 

    What is the Mount Vernon PTA?

    • The PTA is our Parent Teacher Association that supports everyone at Mount Vernon and sponsors many school events designed to foster community spirit. The PTA welcomes your participation! You may contact the PTA by e-mailing them at <mvcsptapresident@gmail.com>.
    • By joining the PTA, you will receive e-mails with more information about activities within the school throughout the school year.
    • Every month there are PTA meetings held at the school with our administrative team to answer any questions or concerns about our school, as well as communicating information on upcoming events.

    How can I be more involved?

    • There are opportunities to work with students in and out of the classroom. If you are interested in volunteering in the school (tutoring, helping in the classroom, library, etc.), please apply to become a volunteer by contacting the Family and Community and Engagement Center at 703-619-8055. 

    I live outside of MVCS attendance zone (within ACPS), how can I apply for the Dual Language Program?

    • Parents may request a transfer for their student based on designated school programs within ACPS, such as the dual language program at Mount Vernon. These programs shall be primarily open to students living within the attendance zone. These schools will receive transfers from outside the attendance zone only if space is available for that year and grade level. Programmatic transfers are approved by the Superintendent or authorized designee.
    • As with all other categories of transfers, all students must be registered in their boundary school before a transfer may be requested. Once registration is completed, you may fill out and submit a Programmatic Transfer Form. If a programmatic transfer is approved, transportation services shall be provided. Students who have received programmatic transfers may request to return to their boundary school at the start of the following school year. These requests will be granted if there is capacity at the requested grade level. Any requests received during the school year will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
    • Discover additional info regarding the Dual Language Program

    Parent/Guardian Application Deadline by

    If necessary, ACPS Lottery will held by

    ACPS Notification/ Result to Parent/Guardian by





     Bienvenidos a la Escuela Comunitaria Mount Vernon, la única escuela en su totalidad con el Programa de Idioma Dual de ACPS!

    Teléfono de la oficina principal: 703-706-4460

    Sitio web de la escuela: www.acps.k12.va.us/mtvernon


    ¿A qué hora empieza y termina la escuela?

    • Las puertas de la escuela se abren a las 7:40 AM. La clase comienza a las 8:00 AM y termina a las 2:35 PM.
    • El desayuno está disponible para todos los estudiantes.
    • Los estudiantes salen a las 12:35 PM los días escolares marcados para salir temprano. Por favor, consulte el calendario escolar tradicional para estar al tanto de fechas específicas. Los estudiantes inscritos en el programa después de la escuela Campagna Kids saldrán a Campagna a las 2:41 PM. 

    ¿Qué pasa si mi hijo(a) llega tarde a la escuela?

    • Si su hijo llega después de las 8:00 AM, debe registrarse en la oficina principal.
    • Por favor, consulte con la secretaria de la oficina principal para registrar a en su hijo(a) y para que le den un pase de tardanza.
    • Es importante llevar a su hijo a la escuela a tiempo; Apreciamos su esfuerzo por hacerlo. 

    ¿Cómo avisar una ausencia?

    • Si su hijo(a) está marcado ausente, recibirá automáticamente una llamada telefónica de la escuela pidiéndole que notifique a la escuela sobre la ausencia. Estas llamadas normalmente se hacen entre las 9:30 AM y las 10:00 AM. Para evitar recibir esta llamada, notifique a la escuela llamando a la oficina principal entre las 7:30 AM y las 9:00 AM. Llame al: 703-706-4460
    • Si prefiere mandar un correo electrónico en vez de llamar, puede notificar a la escuela al mandar un correo electrónico a gabriela.alfaro@acps.k12.va.us con el nombre de su hijo/a, dia de la ausencia y la razón de la ausencia.
    • Cuando su hijo(a) regrese a la escuela, puede enviar la nota del médico que explique la ausencia. Si su hijo regresa a la escuela con movilidad limitada (enyesado, muletas, etc.) debe de presentar una nota del médico que indique qué actividad está permitida(a) tanto para el recreo como para educación física. También necesitaremos la nota de médico para permitir que se reanude la actividad normal una vez que su hijo(a) haya mejorado / sanado.
    • Una ausencia se considera justificada por enfermedades, médicos y citas legales, emergencias familiares y razones religiosas.
    • Comuníquese con su maestro(a) para cualquier trabajo o material necesario para completar mientras se encuentra su hijo(a) en casa. Si Usted ha confirmado con el maestro(a) que lo proporcionará, usted puede recoger cualquier trabajo en la oficina principal al final del día escolar.
    • Las ausencias prolongadas planificadas deben ser aprobadas por el director de la escuela. Tenga en cuenta que su hijo será retirado de la escuela si está ausente por más de 15 días escolares consecutivos. Se le pedirá nuevamente al regresar que proporcione una prueba de residencia en Alexandria City.

    ¿Qué utiles necesita mi hijo(a)?

    • Usted puede encontrar una lista de útiles escolares para cada nivel de grado en la página de la Internet de la escuela.

    ¿Qué programas de cuidado de niños después de la escuela están disponibles?

    • El Centro Campagna tiene un programa para niños después de la escuela de 2:35 PM a 6:00 PM. Su personal es enviado a nuestra escuela para proveer el cuidado de los niños. Para este programa usted debe de registrar a su hijo(a) en la oficina principal en 418 South Washington Street o en su sitio web: <http://www.campagnacenter.org/>. Por favor, para obtener más información póngase en contacto con su oficina principal al 703-549-0111.
    • YMCA es un programa después de la escuela que ofrece servicio de transporte directo desde Mount Vernon. Para más información, puede llamar al 703-838-8085.
    • El Centro de Recreación de Mount Vernon está al lado de nuestra escuela y ofrecen cuidado después de la escuela. Puede registrar a sus niños directamente con ellos en persona. Por favor llame al 703-746-5478 para obtener detalles y la fecha para registrarse.
    • Creative Play School tiene un programa de cuidado después de la escuela. Su personal es enviado a nuestra escuela para recoger a su hijo(a) y llevarlo a su programa que se encuentra en 100 E Windsor Ave. Para más detalles, llame al 703-836-7090.

    ¿Qué sucede durante las emergencias por inclemencias del clima?

    • Los anuncios de cierre de la escuela debido a las inclemencias del clima o las emergencias se publican de las siguientes maneras:
    • Sitio de Internet : www.acps.k12.va.us
    • Twitter, Facebook, Storify: @ ACPSk12
    • Regístrese para recibir alertas por correo electrónico o mensaje de texto: <www.alexandriava.gov/eNews>
    • ACPS Emergency Hotline: 703-866-5300
    • ACPS-TV (Canal 71 en Alexandria City) y estaciones de radio y televisión locales
    • La información se anuncia lo antes posible a través de la Oficina de Comunicaciones de ACPS. Si no hay noticias sobre los cierres, las escuelas abrirán y cerrarán en el horario normal.
    • La apertura o el cierre del gobierno federal o de la ciudad de Alexandria no refleja la apertura o el cierre de las escuelas.
    • Al comenzar la escuela dos horas más tarde: las clases comienzan a las 10:00 AM. El desayuno se sirve puntualmente a las 9:30 AM.
    • Al cerrar la escuela temprano: TODOS los estudiantes salen a las 12:35 PM (dos horas). Todas las actividades después de la escuela y los eventos nocturnos se cancelan. Si la escuela cierra temprano a causa de inclemencias del clima, el servicio de guardería de Campagna está cerrado.
    • Cuando la escuela cierra a la hora normal pero las actividades después de la escuela se cancelan debido a las inclemencias del clima, comuníquese con el Centro Campagna para conocer el horario de cierre al 703-549-0070 o puede enviar un correo electrónico a tsellers@campagnacenter.org.

    ¿Mi niño(a) va almorzar?

    • Va a haber almuerzo en la cafetería disponible gratis este ano 2021-2022.
    • A principios del año escolar usted puede completar una solicitud para recibir almuerzo gratuito o a precio reducido. Recibirás una notificación a través del correo de los Estados Unidos.

    ¿Viajara mi hijo (a) en el autobús escolar?

    • Si califica para el transporte, recibirá una notificación por correo de los EE. UU. Con su número de autobús y la ruta del autobús.
    • Si se muda y necesita una nueva parada de autobús, es imperativo que cambie su dirección en la escuela para que el Departamento de Transporte asigne a su hijo(a) a una nueva ruta de autobús. Tenga en cuenta que los cambios / solicitudes de transporte tienen un tiempo de procesamiento de 3 días y se debe completar un formulario de transporte y enviarlo a la escuela para su aprobación. 

    ¿Cómo puedo comunicarme mejor con el maestro de mi hijo?

    • Tendrá la oportunidad de hablar con el maestro y aprender cómo va su hijo(a) en clase durante las conferencias de padres y maestros que se llevan a cabo al final del primer y segundo trimestre académico. Los maestros(as) se comunicarán con usted para programar un horario para reunirse.
    • Puede enviar correos electrónicos a los maestros; Los correos electrónicos se pueden encontrar en la página "Mount Vernon Staff" del nuestro sitio de Internet.
    • También puede enviar una nota por escrito a su maestro en la carpeta o agenda de su hijo de los "jueves".
    • Las notificaciones de la escuela y / o la del PTA e información importante se enviarán a casa en la carpeta de su hijo de los "jueves".
    • Tenga en cuenta que los maestros(as) pueden necesitar 24 horas para devolver su llamada o responder a su correo electrónico, ya que están enseñando a su hijo(a) durante el horario escolar.

    ¿Cómo recibe mi hijo los servicios de Estudiantes Talentosos y Dotados (TAG)?

    • Los padres o maestros pueden referir a su hijo a los servicios “TAG”.
    • Los requisitos de elegibilidad incluyen una observación del maestro y una escala de calificación de estudiantes talentosos/dotados.
    • El primer trimestre de clases o los primeros 30 dias en que su hijo(a) asiste a la escuela, es el mejor momento para que un maestro(a) observe a su hijo(a), asi como para que su hijo se acostumbre a nuestras rutinas escolares.
    • Visite <https://www.acps.k12.va.us/tag> para obtener más información.

    ¿Mount Vernon tiene escuela de verano?

    • Tenemos la Academia de Idiomas de Verano * en el mes de julio. Las próximas fechas y la ubicación de la escuela se determinarán en una fecha posterior.

    ¿Mount Vernon cuenta con la semana de preparación para el Jardín Infantil?

    • La semana de preparación para el jardín de infantes se determinará en una fecha posterior.

    ¿Qué es el PTA de Mount Vernon?

    • El PTA es nuestra Asociación de Padres y Maestros que apoya a todos en Mount Vernon y patrocina muchos eventos escolares diseñados para fomentar el espíritu comunitario. ¡El PTA agradece su participación! Puede comunicarse con la PTA enviando un correo electrónico a mvcsptapresident@gmail.com.
    • Al unirte a la PTA, recibiras durante el año escolar correos electrónicos con más información sobre las actividades de la escuela.
    • Cada mes, se llevan a cabo reuniones de la PTA en la escuela con nuestro equipo administrativo para responder a cualquier pregunta o inquietud sobre nuestra escuela, así como para comunicar información sobre los próximos eventos.

    ¿Como puedo estar mas involucrado?

    • Hay muchas oportunidades para trabajar con los estudiantes dentro y fuera del aula. Si está interesado en ser voluntario en la escuela (tutoría, ayuda en el aula, biblioteca, etc.), solicite ser voluntario comunicándose con el Centro de Participación Familia Comunidad (FACE) al 703-619-8055; o visite <https://www.acps.k12.va.us/Page/575> para obtener más información.

    Yo vivo fuera de la zona de asistencia de MVCS (en ACPS), ¿cómo puedo solicitar el Programa de Idioma Dual?

    • Los padres pueden solicitar una transferencia para su estudiante según los programas escolares designados dentro de ACPS, como el Programa de Idioma Dual en Mount Vernon. Estos programas estarán abiertos principalmente a estudiantes que viven dentro de la zona de asistencia. Estas escuelas recibirán transferencias desde fuera de la zona de asistencia solo si hay espacio disponible y nivel de grado para el año escolar. Las transferencias programáticas son aprobadas por el Superintendente o su representante autorizado.
    • Al igual que con todas las demás categorías de transferencias, todos los estudiantes deben estar registrados en su escuela que le corresponde antes de que se pueda solicitar una transferencia. Una vez que se haya completado la registración, puede completar y enviar un formulario de transferencia programática. Si se aprueba una transferencia programática, se proporcionarán servicios de transporte. Los estudiantes que hayan recibido transferencias programáticas pueden solicitar el regreso a su escuela secundaria al comienzo del siguiente año escolar. Estas solicitudes serán concedidas si hay capacidad en el nivel de grado requerido. Cualquier solicitud recibida durante el año escolar será revisada caso por caso.
    • Se puede encontrar información adicional sobre el Programa de Idioma Dual en http://www.acps.k12.va.us/duallanguage


    Fecha límite de solicitud

    Si es necesario, la lotería de ACPS se llevara a cabo

    Notificación de Resultados

    Para Padre/Tutor