Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q: What does my child need to know?

    Posted by:

    A: Students should know their PIN. Elementary students will be given cards with their PIN numbers. At the Middle & high school level PIN numbers are available on the student portal.

    Comments (-1)
  • Q: How can my child pay for lunch?

    Posted by:

    A: Students can bring cash, money order or check to the Cafeteria to add money to their account, 

    Parents can create an account at Using either VISA or MasterCard, you can add up to a $100 per transaction to a student’s lunch account.

    There is a convenience fee of $1.75 for each deposit

    Comments (-1)
  • Q: My son is moving on this fall from MVCS to GW Middle School. Will his account transfer with him?

    Posted by:

    A: As long as your student stays enrolled in Alexandria City Public Schools their balance will transfer with them.

    Comments (-1)
  • Q: How do I find my child’s student ID number in order to link my child’s account in SchoolCafé?

    Posted by:

    A: You can find your student’s ID number on any personalized publication that is sent to your home from the school such as a progress report. You can also obtain this number by calling the school's Registrar or the School Nutrition Office

    Comments (-1)
  • Q: We've moved to a different school district. Can I transfer the balance to the new school?

    Posted by:

    A: Unfortunately we do not have the ability to transfer funds to different districts. Please find attached a fillable Refund Request form in response to your inquiry regarding a refund of the balance in your child(ren)'s meal account. Please complete the online application here.

    Please note that it can take up to six (6) weeks for processing so we will need to have your complete mailing address (including apartment or unit number, if applicable).

    Comments (-1)
  • Q: My son graduated from high school & left a balance on his account. I'd like to transfer that?

    Posted by:

    A: Transferring a balance can be done online via SchoolCafe OR by filling out this online application in case you don’t have an account created on

    Comments (-1)
  • Q. Why do adults pay more?

    Posted by:

    A. ACPS Nutrition receives funds for meals served at school to all students. Adult meals are not funded by USDA and federal law require adults to pay what it costs ACPS Nutrition to produce a meal.

    It is our responsibility to earn revenues to cover our department's salaries and benefits, food, supplies, and equipment.

    Meals bought at school are worthwhile in these ways:

    • Meals meet recommendations in the Dietary Guidelines for Americans,
    • They are safe and handled by food service professionals trained in sanitation and food safety,
    • Standard portions are served - it's easy to count calories, points, carbs, etc., and
    • They are economical.

    Adult Lunches include 3 or more of the following options:  Meat/Meat Alternate, Grain Serving, Fruit Servings, Vegetable Servings.  Adults may choose one Milk or Bottled Water to go with their meals.

    Comments (-1)

  • Non-Discrimination Statement: In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.Justice for All Graphic

    Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

    To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

    (1)   mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

    (2)   fax: (202) 690-7442; or

    (3)  email:

    This institution is an equal opportunity provider.