Expectations of Student Riders
Riding the School Bus.Each student is assigned to a bus that serves their neighborhood and is only authorized to board or unload from that bus at their assigned bus stop.
Loading on the bus in the morning. Students of all grades are expected to be at their bus stop 5 minutes prior to the scheduled pickup time. This provides a safe buffer of time to ensure that the student is readily seen by the Bus Driver as the bus approaches the bus stop.
- Students should be aware that if they miss the bus, they should NOT CHASE the bus; this is the most dangerous moment because the driver is looking at traffic, not the door side of the bus.
- Remain away from the street upon arrival of the bus. When the bus has come to a complete stop and the door has been opened, the students should use the handrail for stability as they enter the bus, then move quickly to the assigned seat.
Each student will have an assigned seat (even if only temporarily assigned). The driver may not move the bus until all students are seated.
- Students should be seated properly in their assigned seat as easily described by the phrase, "sitting on your bottom with your feet on the floor, out of the aisle."
- Students are not allowed to sit on the floor, sit or stand in the aisle, or sit in the area or stairwell beside the driver.
Loading the bus in the afternoon. Each campus has a unique bus loading area and campus procedures to dismiss students that ride school buses. Students are expected to ride their assigned neighborhood bus unless specifically instructed to ride an Activity bus to a school-sponsored event.
- When loading the bus, use the handrail for stability, enter the bus and move directly to the assigned seat. Get situated and ready to enjoy the ride.
- If a student has someone else going home with him/her, the visiting guest student must have a note from the parent or guardian that has been approved by the campus principal by issuing a Temporary Bus Pass. The campus administrator in the loading zone may review the circumstances and determine if the student should go inside or be given a Temporary Bus Pass (on the spot) to travel on the bus.
- If, during an afternoon run, a student needs to deviate from their assigned delivery point and they do not have parental and school approval, the driver will contact Transportation Operations. The student will not be allowed to deviate without approval.
- If the student refuses to get off the bus at their normal delivery point (or the bus has already passed it), we will contact the campus for verification while the Bus Driver retains the student on the bus.
- If the student remains on the bus, that student will be expected to sit quietly at the front of the bus until the end of the bus run, at which time the student will be returned to the campus to be reunited with his/her parent or with Child Protective Services.
Students are expected to remain seated until the school bus has come to a complete stop at their assigned school bus stop or campus.
- When the bus approaches their bus stop, the student should gather his/her belongings and prepare to depart.
- When the bus has come to a complete stop, the student may then rise and walk to the front of the bus and descend the stairwell, using the hand rail for stability.
Upon exiting the school bus, the student must move at least 10 feet from the vehicle to be safely out of the “Danger Zone”.
- Students are expected to cross the street in front of the school bus while the RED Lights are activated, which should control the oncoming traffic.
- A student should never reach under the school bus for any reason without direct supervision by the Bus Driver or Monitor.
Students are expected to talk with an indoor voice using appropriate language, such that they can hear if the Bus Driver has instructions for the group of students or an individual student rider.
Students are not allowed to play with any of the bus equipment, especially the emergency exits, or to extend their head or arm out of the bus window.
If a parent desires that their student be assigned permanently to a different bus stop location, they must obtain prior approval from the Office of Pupil Transportation; make your request through your campus.