Facility Modernization Projects
January-March 2020: Planning for HVAC Replacement and Roof Replacements
HVAC Replacement and Controls Status: Initiation and Implementation
This project will assess the existing HVAC system and its controls and create a Design for Renovation to replace the most outdated and aged equipment throughout the school.
- Progress through Q3: The scope of work was created and a Request for Proposal was advertised through ACPS Procurement. The Designer of Record for the project was selected through the Request for Proposals (RFP) process.
- Anticipated progress through Q4: The Designer will start work early in Q4 with an anticipated completion of the preliminary assessments in late Q4.
Roof Replacement (D-Wing and Music Wing) Status: Initiation
This project will replace the “D” wing and “Music” wing roof systems. This will be the final phase of replacing the entire roof system throughout the school.
- Progress through Q3: The scope of work was created for the project, budget estimates were prepared and a Design Consultant was selected.
- Anticipated progress through Q4: Allocation of funds for Design work is expected for April 2020 and Design completion in June 2020.
Read the Quarter 3 Large Project Section.
July-September 2019: Repairs and Opening of Hockey Rink
During the first quarter of FY2020, building infrastructure repairs were completed at Francis C. Hammond Middle School. An exterior insulation finishing system was removed and 100 windows were replaced. Window pressure testing is 60 percent complete and will be finished by the end of the second quarter.
ACPS also opened the hockey rink that was finished at the end of the fourth quarter of FY2019. There is a new scoreboard and a new surface as well as new dasher boards, underground electric and pavement patching for skating.
Total amount spent on modernization projects for Francis C. Hammond between July through September 2019: $557,275.
Targeted Assessment: Comprehensive Condition Audit
In August, 2019, ACPS published the results of a targeted comprehensive condition audit of Francis C. Hammond performed by third party contractors. The auditors found the following issues:
- Interior courtyard issues, Aging HVAC Equipment Beyond its Useful Life, Insulation Missing on Chilled Water Piping.