Learning Schedule for Grades 6 through 12
Grades 6-12 will utilize Canvas and other online learning resources and/or print materials as deemed appropriate by school staff. These resources include but are not limited to accessing online text resources, Nearpod learning modules, reading and writing tasks, and discussion boards and blogs to support student to student interaction.
Students should complete learning opportunities their teachers have prepared for them in Canvas. Additional resources for daily enrichment and review: Set a goal to read 60 minutes daily and set a purpose for the reading. Choose to focus on character development, making predictions, learning new vocabulary words by analyzing context clues, noticing the author's purpose or point of view, summarizing sections, identifying important details, or analyzing theme or tone by looking at the language and word choice in the section.
- YALSA- Reading List
- Virginia Readers Choice Award-Winning Books
Students should complete learning opportunities their teachers have prepared for them in Canvas. Additional resources for daily enrichment and review: Complete a daily reading response log to any book, article, on-line web page/content students are reading.
- This could include a summary, character development, predictions, new vocabulary, etc. This could also be a drawing with a paragraph, couple of sentences, or words to describe the drawing or reading selection.
- Read a current events article and write a summary, create additional research questions on the topic, find data to support or refute what is in the article, etc.
Students should complete learning opportunities their teachers have prepared for them in Canvas. Additional resources for daily enrichment and review include:
- Course textbooks - Online textbooks can be accessed in Clever. Grades 6-Algebra II use enVision math 2.0. In addition to digital textbooks, students in Math 6 and Math 7 have consumable textbooks that should have been sent home.
- ImagineMath - provides students in Math 6 through Algebra I customized lesson pathways. The program can be accessed through Clever.
- Khan Academy - provides video lessons and follow up practice problems for students in grades 6-12. Accessed online at khanacademy.org
- Desmos online scientific and graphing calculator can be accessed through Clever or at desmos.com
- BrainingCamp virtual manipulatives available through Clever
Students should complete learning opportunities their teachers have prepared for them in Canvas. Additional resources for daily enrichment and review accessed through Clever include:
- Course textbooks can be accessed using the MyHRW app.
- World Book Online and Britannica School have daily articles covering science topics. Using the search functions, students can also find entries on specific science content to read in these two online encyclopedias.
- Discovery Education (By Subject → Science) has videos that are broken down by grades 6-8 and 9-12.
- Khan Academy has video lessons and self-quizzes for multiple units in Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Astronomy.
Students should access the learning experiences provided by their teachers in Canvas. Additional resources for enrichment are available through Clever:
- Course textbooks can be accessed online through Clever. Go to the “MyHRW” app.
- Maps101: Students have access to videos, learning games, and news articles.
- iCivics: Students can play educational games about government and history.
- Newsela: Read a current events article or an article about history.
- Discovery Education: Videos on social studies topics
- World Book Online and Britannica School: Articles on social studies topics
- DBQ Project: Teachers can assign students online Document-Based Questions that include reading, document analysis, and writing tasks.
- Nearpod: Teachers can share virtual reality field trips and other lessons through Nearpod.
Additional resources for enrichment outside of Clever:
Students should complete learning opportunities their teachers have prepared for them in Canvas. Additional resources for daily enrichment and review: Students should login and complete 15-30 minutes per day on the Student Application. The goal is to complete all of the zones for one segment (Explore, Reading, Language, Fluency, Writing and Success) about every 1-2 weeks. Students should also complete an e-read each week and take the associated reading quiz to demonstrate comprehension.
Students should be able to utilize Google Classroom and/or Canvas for ongoing instruction (fitness tasks, challenges, health-related reading/responses, etc.).
Students should be able to record instrumental or choral practice on Seesaw, FlipGrid or WeVideo and upload this for teacher critique.
Students can watch full-length theatrical performances on the YouTube channel BroadwayInHD or look up Full-Length Stage Plays for hundreds of more options. Students should be able to utilize Google Classroom and/or Canvas for ongoing instruction in costume, set, and production design. They can also record performances on Seesaw or WeVideo for teacher review and critique.
Students can take virtual field trips and research artists through Google Arts & Culture. They should have sketchbooks go home with them and draw or collage assignments provided through Google Classroom and/or Canvas. ACPS TV will be airing the National Gallery of Art’s TV Show, also consider using Art21.org.
Students should spend about 30-60 minutes daily on review and enrichment activities provided by their teachers through their class Canvas sites.