Eligibility for Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) Cards
New Round of Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfers Coming (March 2021)
The federal government is launching a new round of Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfers (P-EBT). These benefits have been extended through the end of the 2020-21 school year for students approved for free or reduced-price meals and/or attend a Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) school (Cora Kelly and William Ramsay).
Beginning in March 2021:
- P-EBT deposits will be issued on the 25th of each month through July 2021.
- The monthly deposit amount is $121.40 for each eligible student who is participating in the fully virtual learning model. For eligible students participating in the hybrid learning model, the monthly deposit is $60.70.
- Additional payments to cover the months of October 2020-January 2021 will also be issued to eligible households in March.
If you would like to verify your child’s approval, please contact School Nutrition at email@example.com and provide the name(s) of your child(ren) along with identifying information (ie: date of birth, school name, etc.).
We want to make sure that every family that qualifies for P-EBT knows how to apply for and access this valuable benefit that can be used to purchase groceries anywhere that SNAP is accepted.
- Already have a card? Additional funds will automatically be loaded to your existing card soon.
- Lost your card or never received one? Please call 1-866-281-2448. ACPS does not distribute P-EBT cards or benefits.
- Applied for Free and Reduced Price Meals? If you completed the application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals and received a letter or email stating your application was approved, no further action is necessary. Do not submit a new application. Your child(ren) are automatically approved for P-EBT benefits. If you have not received a P-EBT card yet, one will be issued to you soon.
- Circumstances changed? If your financial situation has changed, your child(ren) are newly enrolled in ACPS, or have never applied, please submit a Free and Reduced Price Meal application online or pick up a paper application from one of our food distribution sites. Paper applications can be returned by mail or to a staff member at a distribution site. If you need assistance filling out the application, please contact our Virtual PLUS+ Helpline.
- Know someone who could benefit? If you know of a family that may qualify, help us spread the word by sharing this message with them.
Participation in the program is voluntary. If you choose not to participate in the program, please dispose of the card by cutting through the magnetic stripe and discarding it in a secure manner. You will not be able to redeem the food benefits, nor can you transfer the card to someone else.
If you have questions, please visit the Virginia Department of Social Services P-EBT webpage to submit your question.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I do if my circumstances have changed and I now need financial support?
If your financial situation has changed, please submit a Free and Reduced Price Meal application online or pick up a paper application from one of our food distribution sites. Paper applications can be returned by mail or to a staff member at a distribution site. If you need assistance filling out the application, please contact our Virtual PLUS+ Helpline. NOTE: School Nutrition Services will contact you if additional information is needed and will mail/email you a letter of your new eligibility status.
What if I already have a P-EBT card?
You do not need to do anything. You will soon be receiving additional benefits which will automatically be added to your card.
What happens if I have lost or thrown away my card, or I do not receive it?
If you lost or no longer have your card, call 1-866-281-2448 to request a replacement card. Please allow 7-10 business days for mail processing. Please note, ACPS does not distribute the cards.
What if I don’t receive the funds on my card?
If you believe there are eligible students in your household and you have not received P-EBT benefits, please contact the Virginia Department of Social Services call center Monday - Friday from 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. at 866-513-1414 or 804-294-1633 or use the P-EBT Inquiry Form.
How do I request eligible benefits that were not received in previous P-EBT issuances?
To inquire about P-EBT benefits for previous issuances (spring and fall 2020), please contact the Virginia Department of Social Services call center Monday - Friday from 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. at 866-513-1414 or 804-294-1633 or use the P-EBT Inquiry Form.
What happens if I applied for Free and Reduced Price Meals after Sept. 15, 2020 and have received an email saying I qualify?
If you have received a letter stating your application was approved, then your card will be mailed to you soon. No further action is necessary.
How will I receive the money?
Your existing P-EBT card will be loaded with a benefit. If you do not have a card, a pre-loaded Virginia P-EBT Card will come in the mail addressed to the student’s parent or guardian name, as listed in ACPS records. If you lost or discarded your P-EBT card, call 1-866-281-2448.
What if my child already receives SNAP benefits?
If your child receives SNAP benefits, the P-EBT benefits will automatically be added to your SNAP card. If the state is unable to match your information, you will receive a P-EBT card in the mail with benefits pre-loaded to it.
How do I activate the card?
If you activated your P-EBT card, there is no need to do it again. Secure information detailing how to create a PIN for your card will be included in the envelope with a new card. There are three ways to activate a new P-EBT card or manage your benefits. Call 1-866-281-2448, log on to www.connectebt.com, or download the ConnectEBT app on a mobile device.
How do I use the card?
Once activated, the card can be used to purchase eligible food items anywhere SNAP cards are accepted. Each time you shop, you will need to use the PIN you created when activating the card. The card can be used in the point of sale device, just like a debit card or can be handed to the cashier.
How much will be on the card?
The benefit amount will vary depending on when your school opened for the new school year and if your school is operating 100% virtual or a hybrid model.
Do I have to use all of my benefits at once?
No. The money will carry over on the card from month to month. After one year, unused P-EBT benefits will be removed from the card.
What will happen to my P-EBT card if my family has moved?
If the address is not correct, the P-EBT card will be recorded as undeliverable in the VDSS system. VDSS will work to obtain corrected mailing address information. If possible, contact your school now to update the address in your child's school record. If you do not receive your P-EBT card and you have not been contacted, please contact the Virginia Department of Social Services call center Monday - Friday from 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. at 866-513-1414 or 804-294-1633 or use the P-EBT Inquiry Form.
Need additional help?
Contact the ACPS Virtual PLUS+ Helpline:
- For English: Call 703-844-1763
- For Spanish: Call 703-844-3424
- For Amharic: Call 703-927-6866
- For Arabic: Call 703-927-7095
The card you will receive will look like the card below. It can be used to purchase food items anywhere SNAP or EBT cards are accepted.