VPI Eligibility Requirements for School Year 2021-2022:
- Your child must be four years old by September 30 (born between October 1, 2016 and September 30, 2017)
- Your child must reside in the City of Alexandria. Check your address using the Attendance Zone Locator.
- The child’s family must meet the income eligibility poverty guidelines.
2021 U.S. Gross Annual Federal Poverty Guideline Percentage
Household Size The VPI income eligibility is under 200% The VPI income eligibility with other risk factors is under 250% The VPI income eligibility for children with a current IEP is under 350% 200% 250% 350% 1 $25,760 $32,200 $45,080 2 $34,840 $43,550 $60,970 3 $43,920 $54,900 $76,860 4 $53,000 $66,250 $92,750 5 $62,080 $77,600 $108,640 6 $71,160 $88,950 $124,530 7 $80,240 $100,300 $140,420 8 $89,320 $111,650 $156,310
For families/households with more than 8 persons, add $4,540 for each additional person. Please note: the poverty guideline changes annually. Source: HHS Poverty Guidelines for 2021.
Families that do not qualify for the VPI program, please visit the following websites for childcare resources and Child Care Providers as of 1/11/2021 in Alexandria City.
How to Enroll for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Your child must meet the three (3) eligibility requirements listed above
- Registration forms must be completed entirely to be processed. After creating an online account, select ACPS Use Only. School assignment is only determined by VPI registrars.
Online registration forms – English Online registration forms - Español
Registration forms - English (PDF) Registration forms -Español (PDF)
Registration forms -አማርኛ (PDF) Registration forms -(PDF) بالعربية
You can also request printed forms by calling 703-619-8026 or emailing email@example.com
Shared Housing: If residing with someone else, the parent/legal guardian must complete a notarized Shared Housing Form and provide an original copy of the mortgage, deed (with a tax bill) or an original copy of the lease for the person with whom the parent/legal guardian and child(ren) are living. Additionally, the parent/legal guardian is required to provide two supporting documents (in the parent/legal guardian’s name) as listed in the registration form.
Shared Housing Form English (PDF) Shared Housing Form Español (PDF)
Shared Housing Form አማርኛ (PDF) Shared Housing Form (PDF) بالعربية
- Complete medical documents: Commonwealth of Virginia School Entrance Health Form (PDF)
- Physical examination report
- Immunization record
- TB Screening
- Start the registration process:
- Visit ACPS Appointments to schedule an appointment
- Call 703-619-8026 and leave a voice mail with your name, number, and a brief message
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attend a Zoom information session
Please note: Spaces are limited. Acceptance to the VPI program is not on a first-come, first-served basis. Only complete applications can be processed for possible consideration for a space; only eligible applicants can be considered for selection. Qualifying families that complete their registration will be placed on the VPI waitlist.
Important VPI Registration Deadlines:
- Registration is by appointment only Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- The preschool registration for the 2021 SY (for children born between 10/1/15 - 9/30/16) ended on March 19, 2021
- The preschool registration date for the 2022 SY (for children born between 10/1/16 - 9/30/17) will begin on April 21, 2021
ACPS VPI Registration Deadlines
March 29 - April 2, 2021 The Office of Early Childhood will be closed for spring break April 21, 2021 Registration for SY 21-22 begins (DOB eligibility: October 1, 2016 - September 30, 2017) July 14, 2021 First priority consideration deadline July 16, 2021 First priority acceptance notification sent out July 23, 2021 First priority acceptance agreement deadline August 3, 2021 Second Priority consideration Deadline (Families that register after this deadline will be placed on the waitlist) August 6, 2021 Second priority acceptance notification sent out August 13, 2021 Second priority acceptance agreement deadline August 26, 2021 First Day of Preschool August 26 - March 18, 2022
Open registration for the 2021-2022 SY
Families that complete registration will be placed on the waitlist until a spot becomes available. If a spot becomes available and your child is selected, you will be contacted by the Office of Early Childhood.
April 5, 2022
The projected registration start date for SY 22-23
(DOB eligibility: October 1, 2017 - September 30, 2018)