About Virtual PLUS+ Access
Expanded Technology Resources and Streamlined Access to Learning Platforms
Ensuring all ACPS students and families can access their online classes, teachers and resources while learning at home
All PreK - through second-grade students to receive either a tablet or a Chromebook
Internet access provided to all ACPS families, if needed
Online and in-person technical support
Streamlined technology platforms with one primary access point for instruction, schedules, technical support and Social, Emotional and Academic Learning (SEAL) resources
Key Components of Support and Potential Designs
We firmly believe all students, staff, and families should have consistent, reliable access to working technology devices and internet access, as well as clear and accessible guidance to their questions around technology. As part of our Virtual PLUS+ Access support, we commit to working responsively to address our community’s urgent technological needs.
We are designing a digital ecosystem with our students at the heart. We are standardizing access points for instruction, schedules, technical support, and SEAL resources in the ACPS Learning Management System, Canvas. Canvas will be used by all teachers as their primary platform for students and families. Clever remains the single-sign-on portal for students to access applications.
To support our students, we are expanding Device Distribution to include PreK-2nd graders.
- Ensure each student has a device issued to them, and that these devices will work on private and public as well as school Wi-Fi when available and if needed due to special circumstances ACPS supplied hotspot.
- Provide PreK through 1st grade students tablets and 2nd grade through 12th grade students with chromebooks.
- Select a central facility to streamline activities and serve as our main storage and distribution hub. Other satellite and pop-up sites will be made available for support.
- Provide Wi-Fi and Internet Access so that families have the access that they need.
To support our teachers and instructional support staff, we are focusing our support in the following areas
- Design Canvas course templates for consistency across schools and grades, removing barriers associated with designing a course.
- Provide teachers synchronous and asynchronous professional development for ACPS digital tools.
We recognize that in order to ensure program success, we will need to streamline and deepen our support for staff, families, and students for hardware, software, and access in the following ways:
- Design a singular access point and rebrand tools (e.g., PowerSchool and Canvas) as Virtual PLUS+ Access.
- Provide online and in-person technical support for families so that they can become familiar with and confident with virtual learning.
- Support how-to documentation that is not just accessible online, but also by phone, by zoom or in-person.
- Develop a “Family Helpdesk” course within Canvas where families can access technical support, tutorials, and accessibility features available in ACPS tools and devices.
- Create training videos and modules on how-tos for Tech Tools and hardware (Clever, Canvas, GSuite, Zoom, etc.).
- Organize training materials through a clear Canvas course accessible for all, which includes transcribed and translated materials.
Timeline and Next Steps
- Distribute devices to PreK-3rd grade students and any new ACPS students in grades 4-12 at multiple school sites.
- Coordinate with FACE and school liaisons to identify families in need of Internet access.
- Coordinate with ACPS Office of Facilities to identify times and locations for in-person technical support.
- Design and schedule family webinars to provide details regarding Virtual PLUS+ Access, student devices, and access to digital learning tools.
- Create a Family Helpdesk course to be accessible in Canvas for students and families.
- Finalize division and school-wide expectations for teachers.
- Provide targeted Canvas training to elementary and secondary teachers to support them with finalizing their courses.
- Re-evaluate and reorganize applications in Clever to streamline access to resources.
- Provide staff additional information regarding professional learning opportunities currently available and scheduled.