Tips for 3-5 Learning
Tips for Parents
- Familiarize yourself with your child’s learning materials and online tools for accessing instruction
- Here are some helpful resources for parents:
- ACPS Technology Services Helpdesk
- Review the Family Information section on Canvas
- Elementary students will have school from 8:00am-2:30pm
- Together with your child, develop a routine for school days
- Routines help children know what to expect each day and can improve their learning.
- As needed, agree on incentives to help your child focus on their work.
- Try to discuss anticipated changes to the schedule with your child in advance.
- Establish a quiet, well-lit workspace for your child to do schoolwork. There should be enough space to write, draw, or use their computer or tablet.
- While you want their workspace to be quiet, place it in an area where you can monitor their online activities.
- Ask your child to gather all their learning materials, supplies, and technology and keep them in one place where they know how to access them.
- Ensure your child eats a healthy breakfast before getting started in the morning.
- Help them begin the day’s learning, and to get each new task started.
- Reach out to your child’s teachers when they (or you!) need help!
- Give encouragement and celebrate your child’s achievements and efforts. Give positive feedback about how they are handling their learning.
Tips for Students
- Pick a quiet place to complete your work and keep all your study materials together.
- Put in your best effort each day.
- Reduce distractions
- Politely let the people in your home know you’re about to start working and that you need to concentrate to do your best.
- Ask the person caring for you to turn off or lower the volume of the tv, music streaming, or other noises nearby.
- Have breakfast before getting started. Try to add healthy options like fruits and veggies and avoid sugary drinks and junk foods.
- Be sure to ask your teachers when you need help!