Virtual PLUS+ Learning Overview
Enhanced and formalized social, emotional and academic learning supports
Responding to the COVID-19 school closures and racial equity with targeted supports in the areas of academics and social-emotional learning
Aligned to traditional in-person learning experience, with staff working their full contract day and planning time embedded into the schedule
Attendance taken daily
Students graded on completed work
Scheduling guardrails across schools, including the same number of lesson blocks across grade levels, and a minimum of 30 to 45 minutes of synchronous instruction per subject at all schools in ACPS
Social, Emotional and Academic Learning (SEAL) lessons for all students combined with structured opportunities to build relationships
Screening of all students for academic as well as social and emotional needs
Expanded staff access to educational tools and professional learning on a variety of virtual platforms
Commitment to exemplary programs such as IB, STEM, CETA, Dual Language and Advanced PLacement (AP)
Key Components of Support and Potential Designs
- Attendance will be taken daily.
- Students will be graded on completed work.
- We will provide Scheduling Guardrails across schools.
- All students will receive SEAL lessons and opportunities to build relationships.
- Screening of students for academics and social emotional needs.
- Dedicated SEAL Time
- Student Engagement and Participation
- Variety of Instructional Models + Assessments
- Opportunities for Differentiated Learning Experiences
- Commitment to Exemplary Programs (e.g. STEM, CETA, DL, AP)
The School Day Structure
Elementary: 8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Middle School: 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
High School: 8:30 a.m. - 3:10 p.m.
Formative and Ongoing Assessments
- Staff will utilize the ACPS Teaching and Learning Framework and the MTSS assessment matrix.
- Prek-1 division staff will work in collaboration with teachers to develop formative assessments.
- Students will take a variety of assessments to check for understanding such as exit tickets, performance based assessments, portfolios, video submissions, and common unit assessments.
- MAP Screener data will inform families, staff, and students to areas of academic strength and areas of focus to inform instruction and necessary supports.
- We plan to administer MAP Screener virtually for all students, grades 2-12 in math and reading. This is a brief (20 question) screener that is feasible to be administered virtually.
- We will prioritize student social and emotional wellness in the initial return to school in September; MAP Screener will be administered in early October.
- Full MAP Assessment will be administered to students grades 2-12 once ACPS returns to in-person learning.
- Explicit Time for SEAL (Consistent, Regular→ Min. of 30 Minutes at Grades 3-12, Min. 20 Minutes at Grades PK-2)
- Same # of Blocks Across Levels (ex: All ES)
- Secondary: Explore the Use of 4x4 and Block Models
- **30-45 Minutes Minimum Synchronous Instruction per Subject (Based on 3.0 Scheduling)
- Staff will Return to Their Full Contract Hours
Professional Learning Supports for Staff
- Embedded Planning Time
- Expanding Tools of all Staff to Meet Model Delivery
- Training on a Variety of Virtual Platforms and Instructional Models
- Teaching Resources Suited to Virtual Models
- Family Engagement