Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI)
ACPS offers free pre-kindergarten to qualifying families through the Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI). The purpose of VPI is to provide quality early childhood programs for at-risk four-year-olds. VPI is a program designed for families who might not otherwise be able to access quality early childhood education opportunities.
- Full-day classes for four-year-old children from 8:00 a.m. to 2:35 p.m
- Highly-qualified and licensed teachers.
- Research-based curriculum with an emphasis on facilitating language development, social skills, problem-solving skills, and physical development.
- Literacy, math, science, social studies, art, music and physical activities incorporated into all aspects of the daily routine.
- Breakfast, lunch, and snack available.
- Offered at the Early Childhood Center, William Ramsay Elementary School, and Jefferson-Houston School. The school assignment is based on the nearest geographic serving school location.
Important VPI Registration Dates and Office Closings:
- Virginia Preschool Initiative office closings:
- As of Monday, March 16, 2020, all ACPS schools and offices will be closed until further notice. Please visit www.acps.k12.va.us for the most up to date information.
Jane Richardson, M.A., M.Ed., NBCT
Citywide Early Childhood Programs
1340 Braddock Place, 4th Floor
Alexandria, VA 22314