The National Association of School Nurses (NASN) defines school nursing as "a specialized practice of public health nursing, protects and promotes student health, facilitates normal development, and advances academic success. School nurses, grounded in ethical and evidence-based practice, are the leaders that bridge health care and education, provide care coordination, advocate for quality student-centered care, and collaborate to design systems that allow individuals and communities to develop their full potentials" (June 2016). Both the NASN and the American Academy of Pediatrics advocate for the role of the school nurse to be a Registered Nurse (RN). ACPS has met this guidance and has an RN assigned to every school.
What School Nurses Do
There are several important activities that school nurses engage in to help ensure student health and wellness and to promote academic success. These include:
- Providing direct care to students, including managing acute illnesses and injuries, managing medication administration and medical procedures, and caring for students with special and chronic health care needs.
- Providing school health leadership including assisting with the development of emergency plans, and documenting confidential student health information.
- Performing screening and referral for health conditions, including hearing, vision, and other assessments as needed.
- Promoting a healthy school environment through monitoring of immunizations, communicable disease surveillance and exclusion, and monitoring the safety of the school environment.
- Promoting wellness through health education and participation in school health and safety committees, school support teams, child study and special education evaluation meetings.
- Developing and evaluating school health policies.
- Serving as a liaison between schools, family, health care providers and other community resources.
Contact Your School Nurse
Director of School Health Services 703.619.8341 703-836-1928 Charles Barrett 703-824-6962 703-379-1647 Cora Kelly 703-706-4426 703-836-8190 Douglas MacArthur 703-461-4192 703-461-3857 Ferdinand T. Day 703-619-8433 703-619-8435 Francis C. Hammond 703-461-4147 703-461-7128 George Mason 703-706-4475 703-706-4559 George Washington 703-706-4516 703-706-4554 James K. Polk 703-461-4184 703-823-6451 Jefferson-Houston 703-706-4407 703-548-1451 John Adams 703-824-6976 703-379-6490 Lyles-Crouch 703-706-4435 703-684-6081 Maury 703-706-4444 703-683-8072 Minnie Howard 703-824-6754 703-820-1260 Mount Vernon 703-706-4464 703-706-5894 Patrick Henry 703-461-4062 703-751-1248 Samuel W. Tucker 703-933-6307 703-823-1403 T.C. Williams 703-824-6866 703-820-6411 William Ramsay 703-379-7824 703-824-8122