Development and planning of the budget are a year-long undertaking consisting of discussions and modifications. The budget approval process features three significant milestones; the Superintendent's Presentation of the Proposed Budget, the Adoption of the Approved Budget, and the Adoption of the Final Budget.
The ACPS budget is funded in two parts; Combined Funds (CF) and Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Budgets.
The Combined Funds Budget consists of three separate funds; Operating, Grant and Special Projects, and School Nutrition.
The Operating Budget: Approximately 88% of expenditures comprise salaries and benefits, with the remainder consisting of non-compensation costs.
The Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Budget: Separate from the CF Budget, the CIP budget funds capital improvements and modernization projects.
Budget Priorities and Areas of Focus
The School Board Budget Priorities align with the ACPS 2025 Strategic Plan Goals to guide decision-making throughout the budget process. The Superintendent develops Focus Areas based on these School Board Budget Priorities.
The Alexandria City School Board will hold virtual public hearings on the FY 2023 Combined Funds and FY 2023-2032 Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Budgets during School Board Meetings on the following dates.
- January 20, 2022 (Combined Funds)
- May 19, 2022
For more information, please contact the Clerk of the Board at 703-619-8316 or by email at email@example.com.
- FY 2023 CF Budget - School Board Questions and Responses as of May 10, 2022 (PDF)
- FY 2023 CF Budget - Add Delete Compiliation Cosponsorship (PDF)
- FY 2023 CF Budget - School Board Questions and Responses as of January 28, 2022 (PDF)
- FY 2023-2032 CIP Budget - School Board Questions and Responses as of November 19, 2021 (PDF)
- FY 2022 CF Budget Add Delete Compilation Cosponsorship (PDF)
- FY 2022 School Board Questions and Responses as of May 11, 2021 (PDF)
- FY 2022 School Board Questions and Responses as of January 29, 2021 (PDF)
Elementary and Secondary Emergency Relief (ESSER)
Budget information on the Elementary and Secondary Emergency Relief (ESSER) Grant Fund can be found on the ACPS ESSER website.
Budget Documents, Videos, and Key Information
- FY 2023 Budget Process Resolution & Rules of Engagement
- FY 2023 Budget Calendar
- Chart of Accounts Book Revised July 2021 (PDF)
- FY 2023 Budget Planning Manual as of March 2022 (PDF)
- FY 2023 Additional Request Form (Excel)
Budget information for the City of Alexandria can be found on the City of Alexandria website.
ACPS Budget: Where the Money Goes
FY 2023 Community Budget Forum--October 19, 2021
FY 2022 Community Budget Forum
Director of Budget, Financial Systems, and Reporting
Assistant Director of Budget
Shelly S. Tsuda
Budget Management Analyst
Business Data Analyst
Capital Program Analyst
Financial Systems and Reporting
Business Systems Analyst
Comments and Questions
Speak to the School Board