Apply To Volunteer
ACPS Volunteer Application Process
ACPS encourages and welcomes volunteers in our schools. We invite parents, families, community members, and our many partners to get involved and support students throughout the year. Our volunteer activities vary from school to school, and volunteers can get involved and make a difference by helping with a wide variety of activities.
Interested in volunteering with us? To ensure the safety of our students, staff, and visitors, there are a few steps to complete before beginning your service. There is an updated application process for the 2021-22 school year as part of the new Visitor Management System, so please read the steps below and FAQ carefully.
Note: Please refrain from completing test applications or using the system to submit applications as examples for fellow volunteers if you are a partner program. As a part of the new system, background checks are automatically run and charged. Thanks in advance!
- Complete the Volunteer Application Form. This form serves as an introduction to yourself and your interests and availability. The application process is managed online and through the secure online platform that we use for the Visitor Management System, Raptor Technologies. The application process includes a safety check that screens volunteers against sex offender registries. Applicants will be asked to identify the activities they are interested in supporting, the school(s) where they want to volunteer, and if they are volunteering on behalf of a partner organization. Once your application is received, you will receive a generated email confirming receipt.
- Read and sign the mandatory online Code of Conduct that is part of the application. Once you have completed the volunteer application, the code of conduct will be able to be viewed. It needs to be reviewed in its entirety and signed. This is required for any volunteer (parent, community member, or partner) who regularly supports schools, chaperones a field trip, etc., and is available in multiple languages. Completion of the code of conduct guarantees that you as the volunteer understand the expectations of our organization.
- Contact the school(s) where you wish to serve. Each volunteer will be informed as to the status of their application once completed. If you do not hear back about the status of your application within one week please contact your school’s Parent Liaison and let them know how you want to get involved. Once approved, your application is valid for two years. You will be able to sign in at your school as a Volunteer.
When filling out the application, please note that applicants are required to complete all fields that are marked with an asterisk.
If you have any additional questions not answered by the FAQ below, please contact:
Office of School, Business and Community Partnerships
How to Volunteer – Frequently Asked Questions
As a community, we are mindful of our shared responsibility to create safe, healthy school environments that foster student success and well-being. ACPS is grateful for your partnership in this effort. Below are answers to frequently asked questions to help clarify the volunteer application, code of conduct, and screening requirements.
Who can be a volunteer?
Volunteers may include parents/guardians and other family members, as well as our partners and members of the community interested in supporting education and have any interest in investing their time and talents to support students in Alexandria.
How do I find volunteer opportunities?
The best way to begin volunteering is to contact the parent liaison or contact our school directly to find out what volunteer opportunities are available. Here is an additional link that you can click to find a current list of volunteer opportunities from our partners.
How do I become a volunteer?
All volunteers who regularly support schools and school-sponsored activities must complete an application, review, and sign the ACPS code of conduct. This code of conduct requirement also applies to volunteers who regularly help in the classroom and those who wish to attend field trips and chaperone in any capacity. The application and online code of conduct are provided in English and Spanish.
Who needs to complete the application and code of conduct? Who is exempt?
Only individuals who regularly support schools must complete the code of conduct. This means those who volunteer on an ongoing basis, including enrichment providers. Individuals who support at large events or those who assist at one-time events under the supervision of school staff members are not required to complete the code of conduct at this time. Below are examples of the types of activities that do not require completion of the code of conduct
- Parent/community members who serve as one-time guest readers or speakers in classrooms under ACPS staff supervision.
- Parents or family members who are observing or supporting a student's recognition, celebration, or party.
- Parents/guardians serving as a lunch buddy one time or visiting to eat lunch with their children.
I want to learn more about being a visitor versus a volunteer.
Want to still help out an individual teacher (s) by offering your support?
Visitors can help out teachers/schools as long as they are not alone with students or groups of students and there is ACPS staff present. In the Virtual Plus Instructional Model, you can still be classified as a visitor if you go through the following steps:
- Contact the teacher who you would like to support.
- Discuss what your vision of involvement would be.
- Verify that the teacher or other ACPS staff member is present during any interaction with the students.
Why do I need to complete the code of conduct if I want to chaperone my student’s field trip?
It is essential that chaperones complete the code of conduct since they are often off-site, off school grounds with groups of students other than their own children, and may be unsupervised by ACPS staff members during those trips at certain times.
What is Raptor Technologies?
Raptor Technologies is the online platform ACPS uses for the Visitor Management System as well as for volunteers, sex offender screening, and the visitor, volunteer, contractor, and staff sign-in/out process. Individuals wishing to volunteer with an individual school or multiple schools are able to complete their application online in English or Spanish by accessing the Raptor Technology systems links dedicated to the school division.
Where can I find the online volunteer application link?
How will ACPS know that I have completed the code of conduct?
Completion is recorded and tracked by ACPS. The Volunteer Coordinator will receive a confirmation of your completion upon your signing. Once complete, you will be approved for two years.
How long does it take to complete the volunteer process?
The volunteer process usually takes about 7-10 business days from start to finish. Fill out the volunteer application online (approx. five minutes)
After I’ve signed the code of conduct, can I begin volunteering?
Yes, but please remember to review the handbook to understand all guidelines.
- ACPS Volunteer Handbook – English (PDF)
- ACPS Volunteer Handbook – Spanish (PDF)
- ACPS Volunteer Handbook – Arabic (PDF)
- ACPS Volunteer Handbook – Amharic (PDF)
What procedures do I follow when volunteering?
To best support school staff and students, volunteers are expected to follow these procedures each time they volunteer:
- Volunteers must sign-in and sign-out of the building using the Visitor Management System (VMS).
- Volunteers must wear the VMS-produced volunteer identification name tag at all times while on school property.
- Volunteers may not access confidential student or personnel records and should respect the confidentiality of students.
- Volunteers working with students must be within view of other ACPS staff members and avoid unsupervised, one-on-one student contact.
Who should I contact if I have questions or concerns about my role as a volunteer or required volunteer training?
Please contact the school parent liaison or the school you wish to volunteer directly. The list of school liaisons is available. For concerns not addressed at the school level, contact Angela Houghton, the ACPS division-wide Volunteer Specialist. She can be reached by email at email@example.com.
We appreciate your interest in working with our students and our schools!