Join the ACPS Calendar Committee
The Alexandria City School Board has established guidance for the development of the Alexandria City Public Schools (ACPS) Academic Calendar. The approved regulations define committee membership, timelines and parameters for holidays, conferences and seasonal breaks for students.
ACPS is seeking diverse and balanced representation from a variety of stakeholder groups to serve as at-large voting members of the calendar committee. If you are interested in being a part of the calendar committee, we ask that you complete the ACPS Calendar Committee Interest Form by Fri., Sept. 29, 2023.
Committee members should anticipate attending a minimum of three meetings in the fall of 2023 including:
- An orientation kickoff meeting in early to mid October.
- A calendar drafting meeting in late October.
- A meeting to finalize recommendations in November.
- One to two parents.
- One to two elementary teachers.
- One teacher from Tucker Elementary School.
- One to two secondary teachers.
- One to two school-based support staff members.
- One to two students.
- One to two central office staff members.
Additionally, the following stakeholder groups will appoint individuals to serve as voting members:
- Two representatives from the Parent Teacher Advisory Council.
- One representative from the Education Association of Alexandria.
- One representative from the Teacher Advisory Council.
- Three representatives from the Family and Community Engagement Center.
The new guidelines call for the committee to present a three-year calendar outlook. The first two years will be for Board adoption; the third year for Board information and will not be adopted.