Winter 2024 School Conferences Dates and Tips
School conferences, commonly known as parent-teacher conferences, create essential connections between a student’s school and their home life. ACPS conducts parent-teacher conferences twice each calendar school year to provide opportunities for families and teachers to discuss their student’s social, emotional and academic progress.
This winter, school conferences are scheduled for all schools, except Samuel W. Tucker Elementary School, on Thurs., Feb. 15, and Fri., Feb. 16, 2024. These will be “early release” days, which means students will be dismissed from school two hours earlier than usual. Each teacher will communicate with their students, staff and families regarding sign-ups for conferences through ParentSquare.
To make the most of your parent-teacher conference, the ACPS Family and Community Engagement Center (FACE) suggests the following:
- Get Ready: Most ACPS schools will be using ParentSquare to schedule conference times for families. Make sure you register your ParentSquare account and download the app to ensure a smooth and easy sign-up process.
- Gather Everyone to be on the Same Page: If your child has a special education teacher and a general education teacher, request that they both attend your conference so that your student’s support team is connected.
- Ask Questions: Parent-teacher conferences generally last 10-15 minutes. Make a list of questions in advance for the teacher before your meeting. Do not be afraid to ask for clarification at any point, if needed.
- Take Notes: During the conference, write down dates, important information shared and the teacher’s responses to your questions.
- Involve Your Child: (before and afterwards): Have a conversation with your child beforehand, asking them what their favorite subjects and activities at school are as well as their least favorites and the reason. Afterward, share what you learned and how you plan to work with the school to help your child succeed.
- Family and Community Engagement Center