Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI)
ACPS offers free preschool to qualifying families through the Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI). The purpose of VPI is to provide quality early childhood programs for eligible four-year-olds. Eligibility is based on family income and child and family risk factors. VPI is a program designed for families who might not otherwise have access to quality early childhood education opportunities.
- Full-day classes for four-year-old children
- The school assignment is based on the nearest geographic serving school location. Programs are offered at:
- Early Childhood Center located at John Adams Elementary School (8:15 a.m. to 2:50 p.m.)
- William Ramsay Elementary School (8:00 a.m. to 2:35 p.m.)
- Jefferson-Houston School (8:00 a.m. to 2:35 p.m.)
- Highly qualified and licensed teachers
- A research-based curriculum that emphasizes facilitating language development, social skills, problem-solving skills, and physical development.
- Literacy, math, science, social studies, art, music, and physical activities are incorporated into all aspects of the daily routine
- Breakfast, lunch, and a snack are available.