Cora Kelly School for Math, Science and Technology
Cora Kelly School for Math, Science and Technology Modernization Project Information
The Cora Kelly Modernization Project is part of the next step in Alexandria City Public Schools’ (ACPS) capacity modernization plan. In Summer 2019, ACPS brought in architects from Studio27 to lead a multidisciplinary team in the development of a Feasibility Study. A Feasibility Study is an assessment that identifies what is possible on the school site, the challenges on the school site and the possibilities for configuration, budget and schedule.
In Fall 2019, the first draft of the study was completed. Preliminary findings were presented to the School Board on January 23, 2020. However, the COVID-19 Pandemic put the Study on hold from January 2019 through March 2021.
On June 3, 2021, the Feasibility Study was presented to the School Board for review
- View the full Feasibility Study (PDF)
Planning for the Cora Kelly Modernization Project is expected to continue until 2026. When planning is completed, the design phase will begin followed by construction. Anticipated occupancy is currently 2031.
Swing Space Opportunity
After the feasibility study presentation and discussions in June of 2021, the School Board decided that Swing Space is the most favorable option as it will allow for flexibility in design, the preservation of existing open space on the Cora Kelly site, and the maximization of student safety. In September of 2021, ACPS entered the due diligence stage for the purchase of the building at 1703 N. Beauregard Street. On Sept. 18, 2021 the City Council appropriated the funding for the purchase, and on Feb. 11, 2022, ACPS officially purchased the building.
Much like Ferdinand T. Day, the 1703 building is an office building that will be converted to a school. ACPS is pursuing the opportunity to use this building as a Swing Space for both George Mason and Cora Kelly before ultimately using it as a permanent 600-student capacity school.
Sign up for Cora Kelly Modernization Email Updates
Sign up for email updates by selecting "Cora Kelly Building Modernization" under "Special Programs and Topics."
Sept. 22, 2021 - Cora Kelly Modernization Project Community Meeting and Presentation Slides
Nov. 7, 2019 - Proposed Budget Request
- Why is ACPS building a school with a 700+ student capacity?
- Why is ACPS considering Pre-K at Cora Kelly?
- What sustainability goals will ACPS meet in the proposed new school?
- Why is ACPS recommending a complete replacement of Cora Kelly?
- What is the timeline of the project?
- Can the school building be taller, so as to not encroach on the RPA or the open space?
- Will the community be involved in some of the different layout decisions?
- What is Swing Space?
- Is Cora Kelly going to use a Swing Space?
- What building will be used as the Swing Space for Cora Kelly?
- What is the expected cost of the renovation of the 1703 building?
- Why did ACPS choose to recommend the use of Swing Space?
- Will there be a traffic study?
- Will transportation be provided for students?
- How will the bus drop off work?
- How will the student drop off work?
- How will parking work?
- Will ACPS provide before and after-school child care?
- Is there enough outdoor play space for Ferdinand T. Day Elementary School and the swing space?