Playlist of Resources
- Annenberg Center: The Thin Blue line in Schools (Research Paper, 2021): A study based on application scores of police agencies for federal school-based policing grants, to estimate the impacts of SRO placement.
- EdWeek: These Districts defunded their School Police (News Article, 2021): An investigation on the tensions and insights accompanying district shifts with respect to SROs following the death of George Floyd.
- Black and White and Thin Blue lines: School Resource Officers (Podcast, 2022): A retired police officer with a wealth of offers insight on the value of the SRO program designed with special training in counseling and anti-violence initiatives.
- COPs (DoJ): Guiding Principles for School Resource Officer Programs (Report, 2022): A DoJ guide for jurisdictions opting to implement an SRO program to ensure that the presence of law enforcement in schools is as beneficial as possible and to avoid harmful impacts on students.
- An Evaluation of a Statewide School Resource Officer Policy (Research Paper, 2018): An investigation of the effectiveness SROs in Elementary and Middle Schools, and whether increased policing and training is associated with reductions in reported acts per school year.
- Education under Arrest: The Case Against Police in Schools (Research Paper, 2011): A study of the correlation between the increased presence of SROs in schools to the increased referrals to the justice system, especially for minor offenses like disorderly conduct.
- Cops and No Counselors (Report, 2019): A report reviewing state-level student-to-school-based mental health personnel ratios, law enforcement in
schools, with particular attention to disparities by race and disability status.
- School resource officer: Connecting with students is key (Video, 2022): CNN speaks with NASRO’s School Resource Officer of the year Richard Craig to discuss the role’s impact and misconceptions.
- Where we have been and where we need to go next (Report, 2022): An examination of the impact of officer presence in schools, frameworks for implementation, and how officers impact staff and students.
- A study of student experiences with school resource officers (Research Paper, 2021): A study to understand how students construct narratives of police presence in their schools based on their experiences with SROs.
- Study Shows SROs In Schools Lead to a Decrease in Arrests (News article + Video, 2021): A review of state-level student-to-school-based mental health personnel ratios, law enforcement in schools, with particular attention to disparities by race and disability status.
- Reconsidering police in schools (Report, 2021): An outline of the consequences of SRO funding and provides short-, medium-, and long-term strategies to reimagine how we can protect our children and keeps our schools safe.
- Policing + Punishment in Schools (Podcast, 2022): An episode featuring the stories of students and educators confronting policing both inside and outside our schools, as well as interventions toward abolition.
- To Protect & Educate (Report, 2012): A study seeking to understand how students construct narratives of police presence in their schools based on
their experiences with SROs.
- Every Child Should Be Safe at School: K–12 Policing Needs Reform, Not Elimination (Research Paper, 2020): This study discussed the need for specific
SRO training to operate in a school setting, and highlights the rare incidents of improper SRO actions that receive media attention, while the
thousands of other, properly managed, incidents do not.