ACPS cooperates with schools, parent-teacher organizations, booster clubs, government organizations, approved community partners, non-profit organizations who promote the general public interest and educational welfare of students, and patriotic organizations and youth groups as designated under federal and state law by posting flyers online.
As part of our efforts to be more environmentally friendly, embrace innovative technology, be mindful of the time it takes for our staff to distribute paper flyers and maintain fiscal responsibility, we have transitioned from paper to electronic flyer delivery.
To request flyer approval, follow the steps below. Once approved, your flyer will be included on school websites (if you choose to distribute to specific schools). Except in cases deemed exceptional by the Office of Communications, paper flyers from outside organizations will not be distributed.
In order to distribute flyer to schools, all organizations must:
- Visit the Peachjar website.
- Register as an Enrichment Provider (account type).
- Email paperwork confirming non-profit status. (Non-profit organizations must prove their non-profit status by providing a copy of a 501 (c) (3) or other government-issued form that shows tax-exempt status.) to email@example.com before uploading your flyer through Peachjar. Your flyer will not be approved for distribution until this is received.
- Upload your flyer for approval.
Your flyer will be automatically submitted to the ACPS Office of Communications. Staff will review the material and approve or deny based on the standards below.
Peachjar charges a fee for this service for government organizations, approved community partners, non-profit organizations who promote the general public interest and educational welfare of students, and patriotic organizations and youth groups as designated under federal and state law. This fee is typically much less than the cost to copy and deliver paper flyer to each school.
The Alexandria City School Board under policies KF, KG and KQ and the relevant regulations attached to those policies, permits ACPS to distribute promotional material of an outside organization that is intended solely to notify students and their parents of the opportunity to participate in a youth-related program, activity or event that aims to improve the health, education or welfare of students or members of the school community (e.g., students' families, etc.). It does not permit the distribution of material that:
- Are likely to cause substantial disruption of, or a material interference with, school classes; classwork or activities, or the orderly operation of the school;
- Would create a clear and present danger of the commission of unlawful acts;
- Violate school policies, regulations, or the privacy rights of others;
- Endorse or encourage the use of alcohol, tobacco, electronic cigarettes or any illegal substance or action;
- Endorse or encourage any violation of the Student Code of Conduct (see policy JFC-R);
- Are libelous, slanderous, or defamatory under State law;
- Are obscene or pornographic, or defamatory;
- Result in financial gain for a third party other than the parents-teacher organizations or organizations exempted above
- Are in conflict with any ACPS policy regarding the distribution of material
- All policies regarding flyer distribution can be found in the K policy section on the ACPS website.
Flyers must include the following sentences in the language of the flyer:
Organizations may request distribution for one flyer per event. Non-profit organizations are limited to a maximum of ten flyers per school year.
Flyers should be confined to one sheet of paper no larger than 8½ by 11 inches, unless the size of the material will not create an unreasonable distribution burden.
Flyers must prominently display a contact name and telephone number for the organization. If a registration form is included, flyers should display a mailing address of the organization.
ACPS cannot guarantee that flyers will be distributed on or before a desired date.
Organizations are encouraged to distribute versions of flyers in the languages spoken by the families of students who attend ACPS. These are English, Spanish, Amharic and Arabic.
The following is a list of companies that offer translation services. ACPS does not pay for translation of flyers, nor do ACPS rates apply.
Administrative Specialist, School & Community Relations
1340 Braddock Pl
Alexandria, VA 22314