The High School Project Instructional Updates
The High School Project Team (THSPT) continues to plan for the educational experience of students at Alexandria City High School (ACHS) with core values and drivers of instructional excellence, equity, student achievement and growth, and multiple pathways that prepare students for college, career, and civic life.
The THSPT has contracted with The Learning-Centered Collaborative to continue the work that is needed to prepare for the opening of the new Minnie Howard Campus and the impact on other campuses in the Connected Network. There has been a review of completed work from the Educational Design Team and it will inform the path forward to developing an action plan.
The educational programming planning will include:
- Development of Learner Profile & Learning Model aligned with Profile of a Virginia Graduate and Curricular Framework Standards
- Development of learning pathways
- Revision of the ACPS Program of Studies
- Student placement based on learning pathways
- Master schedule development
- Staff professional development
- Ongoing executive coaching for current administration
Presentations to the ACPS School Board
- September 21, 2023: The High School Project Update
- Nov. 2, 2023: Program of Studies for 2024–2025 for Secondary Schools
Educational Programming Community Meetings
ACPS invites the community to participate in the following community engagement sessions hosted online through Zoom:
- Mon., Oct. 16, 2023, at 6:30 p.m.–Educational Programming update: The Office of Capital Programs, Planning, and Design team held a virtual community meeting to provide an update on the Minnie Howard design, construction timelines, and construction site logistics. The Department of Teaching, Learning, and Leadership shared updates on the instructional programming process.
- Thur., Oct. 26, 2023, at 6:30 p.m.–Program of Studies–Understanding Academies and Pathways
- Thur., Feb. 15, 2024, at 6:30 p.m.–Understanding Academic Advisement
- Thur., April 18, 2024, at 6:30 p.m.–Community Q&A
Academic Orientation and Curriculum Night
Academic Orientation and Curriculum Night is an informative and interactive event designed for students and their families to explore elective and core course options available to students during the 2024-25 school year. The event will include:
Academic Advising Fair: Various courses are showcased, providing information about different courses at ACHS.
Academies and Pathways.
Discussion of Graduation Requirements: Explaining the necessary criteria for students to fulfill for graduation.
Course Offerings and Sequencing: Exploring the courses and sequence of courses available at ACHS.
Advanced Courses: Students and families have an opportunity to interact with current ACHS students enrolled in Honors, Advanced Placement and Dual Enrollment courses.
Current grade eight students and families can attend specialized breakout sessions to learn about the following:
Academies and Pathways.
Governor’s Health Sciences: Information session dedicated to understanding the Governor’s Health Sciences pathways of study at ACHS and the application process.
AVID College Readiness: Information session highlighting the AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) program and application process.
Post-Secondary Preparation: Information provided by the Scholarship Fund of Alexandria.
Middle School Elective Fair and Curriculum Night
The Middle School Elective Fair and Curricular Night is an opportunity for students and families to gain insight into the curriculum covered in grade-level content classes and preview electives.