TC Williams High School Choir provides a medium for performing choral music in the school and the Alexandria City community. About 120 students comprise TC’s choral program. These students represent a variety of cultures and ethnicities that are broken into four distinct groups:
- Show Choir
All students learn to create an appropriate individual vocal sound and contribute to an ensemble choral sound. TC Williams’ Choir repertoire covers many styles from classical to pop from different periods and ranges in difficulty from III-VI based on the Virginia Choral Directors Association rating system.
In recent years, the choir has performed:
- for the President of the United States and First Family in “Christmas in Washington”
- in the “Kennedy Center Honors” nationally televised productions on TNT and CBS-TV respectively with current music sensations Maxwell, Yo Yo Ma, Mariah Carey, Jennifer Hudson, Diana Ross, Scotty McCreery, Miranda Cosgrove, Demi Lavato, Matthew Morrison, and Justin Beiber.
- at the John F. Kennedy Center for the other four living Presidents including President Clinton, President Carter, President G.W. Bush, honoring the service of President George H.W. Bush.
- for the Alexandria branch of the NAACP
- as the opener for the cast of current television show “Glee”
In addition, they have participated in local and national Festivals, including the:
- Disney Festival in Orlando, FL,
- Kings Dominion Festival in Doswell, VA,
- Heritage Music Festival in Atlanta, GA,
- Busch Gardens Festival in Williamsburg, VA, and
- Cedar Point Festival in Sandusky, OH, in which they received superior ratings for their choral performance
- Winning the 2011 Ising Challenge Competition, taking home the grand prize of $5,000 in which they competed against several award-winning high school programs along the eastern seaboard.
- Top honors at the 2012 Orlandofest Band/Choral/Orchestra Festival located at Universal Studios, Orlando Florida. TC Williams Advanced Choir swept its category of Choir by receiving Superior ratings, taking home the Gold trophy, and receiving the "Grand Champion" Award for the highest scoring ensemble of all 16 choral ensembles present. Recently, the choir scored superior ratings and took the Gold trophy at the 2013 Heritage Music Festival, in Atlanta, Georgia. During this festival, and in lieu of the high score the choir received, they were invited to perform on the Carnegie Hall Concert Stage in the 2014-2015 music festival season.
For more information about the TC Williams Choir Program please visit TCW Choir Boosters.