Translation and Interpretation Services
Translation and Interpretation Services
SERVICES FOR ACPS STAFF
Face-To-Face Interpretation Services
All requests must be made at least five (5) school days in advance of the service date. Requests for prescheduled events, such as Back-to-School Nights and Parent/Teacher Conferences, must be sent with more time in advance due to higher demand.
If you need to borrow extra Simultaneous Interpretation equipment, please type a note in the "Comments" field of the Interpreter Request Form at least five (5) school days in advance indicating how many transmitters, microphones, receivers and headsets are needed and who will be picking them up.
Equipment must be picked up from the EL Welcome Center located in the Central Office lobby between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on the day of your event (or the day before if your event is taking place early in the morning). Equipment must be returned by 5:00 p.m. the following day.
Please turn off authentication through Clever when you set up the meeting in Zoom.
- Interpreter Request Form
- Interpreter Cancellation Form
- Interpretation Feedback Form
- Interpretation through Zoom Guide
- Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences with Interpretation
Vital Documents Translation Services
All requests must be made at least ten (10) school days in advance. Please keep in mind that the time needed and delivery date may vary depending on the length of the document(s).
- Guidelines for Written Translations (PDF)
- Vital Documents Translation Request Form
- Translation Feedback form
Examples of Vital Documents for Translation
Within ACPS, vital documents for translation are prioritized in an effort to facilitate and increase meaningful communication between ACPS and students/families. When possible, documents should be clear and concise. To that end, large documents do not need to be translated in their entirety, but rather a summary of the vital information from the document can be translated. In addition, in situations in which documents cannot be translated, the use of interpreters can facilitate communication.
Examples of vital documents/information may include:
- Division and school policies, rules and regulations, including the Student Code of Conduct.
- Emergency information and emergency letters for parents.
- Registration/enrollment forms and other such forms most commonly used by the division to communicate with parents.
- Health and safety information.
- Disciplinary letters, notices and procedures.
- Parent handbooks and fact sheets.
- Information regarding student achievement and performance on academic assessments.
- Information related to providing children with disabilities with a free appropriate public education (FAPE) under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; including notice of procedural safeguards.
- Academic options and planning, including talented and gifted programs, alternative language programs, counseling and guidance services, and supplemental educational services.
- Information related to school and parent programs, meetings and other activities and notifications as related to the parental involvement policy, including parent-teacher conferences.
- Information regarding access to functions or co-curricular activities.
SERVICES FOR ACPS FAMILIES
The information below is available in the following languages:
English (PDF) | Amharic (PDF) | Arabic (PDF) | Bengali (PDF) | Dari (PDF) | Farsi (PDF) | Krio (PDF) | Pashtu (PDF) | Spanish (PDF) | Tigrinya (PDF) | Twi (PDF) | Urdu (PDF)
More than 50% of students in ACPS speak a language other than English at home. The most frequently spoken languages among ACPS students are Spanish, Amharic and Arabic.
In order to support communication between schools, students and families, ACPS's language access services include:
- telephone interpretation (through the Language Line)
- face-to-face interpretation
- written translation services
There are different ways you can tell ACPS staff that you are in the need of Translation and Interpretation Services:
- When you register your child at ACPS, please let the staff member (Registrar) know your preferred language of communication.
- If you are at an ACPS school or office, look for the "Interpretation Services Available" poster. Then, point to your language and an ACPS staff member will contact an interpreter over the phone.
"Interpretation Services Available" poster
- If your language is not on the poster, please ask for a "Language Identification Guide," which contains more than 100 languages.
Interpretation Services through The Language Line
Language Line is an over-the-phone service that allows multilingual families to communicate with their child's school in a culturally sensitive manner using their native language.
Through the use of Language Line, your child's school can call an interpreter on the telephone. The school staff will dial the Language Line number and will ask for the language required. You will then have to wait on hold until the interpreter is connected, usually 1-2 minutes.
Face-to-Face Interpretation Services
Oral interpreters are available to assist ACPS families when meeting at your child's school or attending an ACPS activity.
To request this service please notify your child's school more than 5 schools days in advance to ensure availability.
Interpreters can be provided for a variety of meetings such as Parent-Teacher Conferences, Child Study meetings, Special Education Eligibility meetings, and IEP meetings. Interpreters can also assist during school activities such as Back-to-school nights, PTA Meetings, workshops and more.
Written Translation Services
ACPS translates division-wide documents to support school-parent communications. These documents include but are not limited to: division and school policies, emergency information, registration and enrollment forms, health and safety information, student permission forms, disciplinary letters, parent handbooks and fact sheets, academic options and planning, information regarding access to functions or co-curricular activities, report cards, and program-specific information.
Please let school staff knows if there is a document that you need help to understand.
For more information
Contact the Office of EL Services, Translation and Interpretation services at 703-619-8347, or the Family and Community Engagement (FACE) Center at 703-619-8055.
Have questions or concerns? Need support?
If you have any questions or would like to request an interpreter or translator, please ask an ACPS staff member for assistance.
Language Access Manager
Victor M. Espinosa Sanchez
Senior Spanish Translator
Comentario de los padres
ACPS valora sus comentarios sobre los servicios de traducción e interpretación. Comparta sus comentarios utilizando el formulario de comentarios aquí.
Gracias por su tiempo.
የወላጅ አስተያየት (Feedback)
በትርጉም እና የማስተርጎም አገልግሎቶች ላይ የምትሰጡትን አስተያየት (feedback)፣ ACPS ከፍተኛ-ቦታ ይሰጠዋል። እዚህ የሚገኘውን የአስተያየት ቅጽ (feedback form)ን በመጠቀም፣ እባክዎን ያለዎትን ግብዓት (input) አጋሩን። ለዚህ ጊዜያችሁን ስለሰዋችሁ፣ እናመሰግናለን።
آراء وملاحظات ولي الامر
، تثمن مدارس ACPS تقديمكم للآراء والملاحظات المتعلقة بخدمات الترجمة الكتابية والترجمة الفورية. يرجى مشاركة آرائكم وملاحظاتكم من خلال إستخدام نموذج تقديم الآراء والملاحظات هنا. شكراً على وقتكم.