About Our School
The teaching and administrative staff at Ferdinand T. Day Elementary School will be carefully selected to ensure that they represent the following profile:
- Lifelong learners;
- Leaders who support student empowerment;
- Digital citizens and learners;
- Designers who create authentic, real-world learning experiences for all students;
- Facilitators who encourage creativity and self-expression;
- Analysts who carefully use data to personalize and differentiate learning experiences; and
- Curriculum designers who provide meaningful, authentic, and purposeful STEM-aligned lessons.
The curriculum for Ferdinand T. Day Elementary School will align with the pacing and sequence of the ACPS curriculum, including English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Fine Arts, Health and Physical Education, Library Media Services, and an ongoing focus on STEM-related projects. Our school will also provide a comprehensive set of services and support programs for English Learners (EL), Students with Disabilities, and Talented and Gifted (TAG).
In addition, Ferdinand T. Day Elementary School is a STEM school with an academic program focused on science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Our programs support the Virginia Department of Education’s (VDOE) Vision Statement for STEM education:
“To transform teaching and learning of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics to equip all learners with the skills and knowledge to become STEM literate, and to inspire and empower students to contribute as global citizens to the economy in meaningful ways.”
Our programs are aligned with the Virginia Department of Education’s STEM Education Outcomes. We aim to ensure that students will benefit from the school’s commitment to:
- Create problem solvers, innovators, critical thinkers, and risk takers with entrepreneurial spirit;
- Integrate the content, processes, and skills of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics;
- Promote equity and access to STEM experiences for all learners;
- Expose students to STEM career fields and opportunities; and
- Encourage community partnerships and involvement.
Curriculum Design (STEM Enhancements):
Our instructional design principles will focus upon the following:
- A STEM emphasis in all grade levels;
- Technology and blended learning for all students;
- Emphasis upon project-based learning as a culminating form of summative assessment:
- In-class and field experiences heightening the impact of a STEM education;
- Standards-driven progress monitoring ensuring that all students make appropriate and satisfactory progress;
- A “Whole Child” approach emphasizing students’ cognitive academic, physical, social-emotional, and relational development;
- A culturally responsive classroom, ensuring that every learner can see his/her culture, background, and interests in the content being studied; and
- Emphasis upon inquiry-based investigations and collaborative learning at all grade levels.
In addition, a major focus of our school is the development of our students as “digital learners” capable of being:
- Empowered students;
- Global collaborators;
- Intelligent about the rights, responsibilities, and opportunities offered by technology;
- Creative communicators;
- Effective computational thinkers;
- Innovative designers; and
- Knowledge constructors.
Ferdinand T. Day Elementary School (K-5)
School Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 2:35 p.m.
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Office will be closed during dismissal)
1701 North Beauregard Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22311
Connect with Us