Free and Reduced Price Meals
Children need healthy meals to learn. ACPS Nutrition is pleased to offer FREE Breakfast and/or Lunch for eligible students and schools, as part of the federally funded National School Lunch Act and Child Nutrition Act, and administered by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Virginia Department of Education (VDOE). For the 2019-2020 School Year:
Free Breakfast and Lunch will be provided to ALL students at the following schools:
- Cora Kelly School for Math, Science, and Technology
- William Ramsay Elementary School
Families of students at Cora Kelly and William Ramsay DO NOT need to complete the Application for Free & Reduced Price Meals unless they have other children attending another ACPS school.
Free Breakfast will be provided to ALL students at the following schools:
- Ferdinand T. Day Elementary School
- Francis C. Hammond Middle School
- James K. Polk Elementary School
- Jefferson-Houston School
- John Adams Elementary School
- Patrick Henry School
To qualify for free or reduced-price LUNCH at NO COST, families of students at the above schools must complete an Application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals to determine eligibility.
Application forms are sent to all students' homes, available in the school's main office, or can be downloaded from our website using the links below. For the fastest results, we encourage applying online.
Parents who believe their children may be eligible for free or reduced price meals should complete the forms and return them to their children's schools. Only complete one application per family. The information you give will be used to determine or prove your child's eligibility for free or reduced-priced meals. This information may also be used for other state or federally funded school benefits such as the waiving of test fees, college applications, and sports fees. A new application is required every school year.
The previous school year's meal benefits will expire on:
- September 13, 2019 for Samuel Tucker Elementary School
- October 15, 2019 for ALL remaining ACPS schools.
Factors considered in the application process
- HOUSEHOLD SIZE is considered all persons, related or unrelated: Including parents, children, grandparents who live in your home and share living expenses.
- TOTAL HOUSEHOLD INCOME is the income each household member received last month before taxes - this includes wages, social security, pension, unemployment, welfare, child support, alimony, and any other cash income.
- Foster children are categorically eligible for free meal benefits. An application is not needed yet there does need to be documentation of status by a state or local entity familiar with the child's status. Foster children may be included in the household application as part of the household size.
Resources are available for Spanish, Arabic and Amharic speakers. Please Contact School Nutrition Services at 703-619-8048 for available times.
Additional copies of the Free & Reduced Price Meal Benefits Status Letter are available via your student's SchoolCafe account online.
For questions regarding Free & Reduced Price Meal Applications and Status Inquiries, please contact Sonya Grant, Administrative Specialist, at email@example.com or 703-619-8407.