Online Learning Program
ACPS offers rigorous online courses that are closely aligned with Virginia standards, taught by highly qualified teachers, provide flexibility in pace, and offer differentiation and individualized instruction. Central to what we do is a committed team of teachers, online mentors, counselors and support resources to ensure that every student has the tools they need to succeed in their courses.
Students participate in online courses in a variety of ways and for a team of diverse reasons that include:
- a need for increased flexibility (i.e. in order to be able to gain work experience during school hours)
- to be able to partake in extracurricular training opportunities (i.e. athletes)
- to be able to graduate early
- to recover credits in order to get back or stay on track to graduation
- health reasons (i.e. homebound students)
We are proud to offer dynamic, challenging, and enriching courses and supplemental learning experiences to our students, anywhere, anytime through the Alexandria City Public Schools Online Learning Program (OLP).
- Customized curricular options that complement full- or part-time online learning and home schooling coursework and meets student's academic needs, interests, and passions
- 24/7 Online Tutoring Services available to all students in grades 6-12
- NCAA approved courses
- Flexibility to work at one's own pace and on his/her own schedule
- Competency based credit recovery courses in which students advance through based on mastery of content that includes application and creation of knowledge along with the development of important skills
How to Register
- School counselors will work with the student to determine course enrollment and to register the student.
- The student and parent/guardian will sign the online learning contract and return it to the online learning mentor to which they have been assigned. (Counselors provide the contract.)
- The student will check his/her ACPS email account to receive the username and password for course participation 2-3 days prior to start date.
- Regular monitoring of ACPS student email account is imperative to student success.
Policies and Guidelines
- Creating a Parent/Guardian Account in Edgenuity
- Blended Learning: The Convergence of Online and Face-to-Face Education
- Using Online Learning for At-Risk Students and Credit Recovery
- A Parent's Guide to Choosing the Right Online Program
- Fast Facts About Online Learning
- A National Primer on K-12 Online Learning