About Jefferson-Houston School
Jefferson-Houston School is Alexandria's first Pre-K to 8th grade school. It is located on the west side of Alexandria's Old Town, near the King Street Metro Station. A new, state-of-the-art school facility opened in September 2014 and has received several awards for its environmental features. The school serves as a community hub for city activities and sporting events.
Jefferson-Houston School is an International Baccalaureate® (IB) school. It is authorized for the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) and is a recognized IB Middle Years Programme (MYP). The IB programmes focus on developing the whole child so that they gain the intellectual, personal, emotional, and social skills needed to live, learn, and work in a rapidly globalizing world.
The school is dedicated to two prominent Americans: Thomas Jefferson, third president of the United States, and Charles Hamilton Houston, lawyer and humanitarian, who was a pioneer in the movement to integrate the District of Columbia Public Schools. The school mascot is the jaguar, one of the big cat species, known for its curiosity, intelligence, and strength.
Jefferson-Houston School is a transparent environment where students and teachers work together to create a learning environment of high expectations, achievement, and effective effort as emphasized through deliberate and rigorous instruction that encompasses the entire global community.
At Jefferson-Houston, we help students realize their unique potential by providing personalized, relevant, and rigorous academic experiences. We aim to develop students who possess the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and desire to become lifelong learners. Jefferson-Houston students translate their learning into action by contributing to the school, local, and world community. At Jefferson-Houston, we celebrate diversity and embrace our universal commonalities.
Awards and Honors
- Official International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB-PYP) school
- Recognized International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IB-MYP)
- LEED-certified school with Gold Award for its green building features
- Platinum Award for Architecture given by the Virginia School Boards Association (VSBA)
- ACPS Coding in the K-3 Classroom with Dash and Dot Grant Recipients
- Back to School Night - families explore the school and visit with teachers and staff
- Hallo-READ - an IB reading mentoring program
- All for Books Fundraiser - students raise fund for books by participating in a read-a-thon prior to our Scholastic Book Fair
- Fall Scholastic Book Fair - hosted in the library to raise funds for new library resources
- Winter Concert - a collaboration between our Orchestra, Band and Choral programs
- Hour of Code - a national program held each December to encourage students to explore computer science
- Winter Book Fair at Hooray for Books - hosted at the Hooray for Books store to raise funds for new classroom and library resources
- Science Fair
- KPMG's Family for Literacy (KFFL) - Reading Celebration and Book Giveaway
- Jump Rope and Hoops for Heart - service learning opportunity in which students raise funds through events organized by our Physical Education and Health department to support the American Heart Association
- Drama productions - a collaboration between our Drama department and our PTA
- ACPS Poetry Contest for 3rd-5th Grade - held every March and concludes with an award ceremony in April
- Pennies for Patients - service learning opportunity in which students raise funds through a donation drive organized by our Physical Education and Health department to support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Career Day - held each Spring and coordinated by our Guidance Counselor and our PTA
- Spring Scholastic Book Fair - hosted in the library to raise funds for new library resources
- Spring Concert - a collaboration between our Orchestra, Band, and Choral programs
- Field Day - a collaboration between our Physical Education and Health department and our PTA
- PBIS Monthly Events - a special event is held each month for students who have demonstrated the four PBIS expectations
- Author Visits throughout the year - in partnership with Hooray for Books
- Family Fun Nights - held throughout the year
- Campagna Center - PM Extended Day Care
- PTA After School Clubs - Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
- PTA Reflections in Art, Music, Photography, and Writing - held in early Fall
- Read Across Alexandria - supports literacy through classroom read-a-louds by guests from the Alexandria Fire Department and Sheriff's Office
- School Garden - includes four raised beds that serve as learning garden for all grade levels
School Education Plan
Enrollment 2018-19: 635 students
- African American: 51%
- Hispanic: 19%
- White: 23%
- Multi-racial (two or more ethnic groups): 3.4%
- Asian/Pacific Islander and American Indian: 3.4%
- Hawaiian: .3%
Number of Licensed Staff: 58
With post-graduate degrees: 86%
Jefferson-Houston PreK-8 IB School
School Hours: 7:50 a.m. - 2:35 p.m.
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
1501 Cameron Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Main Office: 703-706-4400
Connect with Us