Charles Barrett Elementary School (K - 5)
School Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 2:35 p.m.
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m - 4:00 p.m.
1115 Martha Custis Drive
Alexandria, Virginia 22302
Main Office: 703-824-6960
Voice Mail: 703-824-6720
About Charles Barrett
Charles Barrett Elementary School was built on the north end of the city in 1949. Charles Barrett prides itself on its strong academic program, its dedicated staff, small class sizes and its diverse student body.
The staff of Charles Barrett is committed to providing a program of academic excellence and equity. We are dedicated to a learning partnership with our students and their families. The following beliefs define our vision as well as our daily practices.
- We believe each student can achieve academic success.
- We believe meaningful learning takes place in a positive, orderly, nurturing and child-centered environment.
- We believe our diversity enriches our learning environment and we value the challenges that it brings.
- We believe teamwork among teachers, staff members, and parents is vital to achieving success in our educational program.
School Education Plan
- Read Barrett's School Education Plan
Awards and Honors
- Lorraine Keir: 2017 Teacher of the Year, Charles Barrett Elementary School
- Ana Bonilla: 2015 National Social Worker of the Year, National Association of Social Workers
- Seth Kennard: 2016 Top 40 Under 40, Alexandria Chamber of Comerce
- Seth Kennard: 2015 Distinguished Education Leadership Award, The Washington Post
- Jennifer Gant: 2014 Harry Burke Special Education Inclusion Teacher of the Year
- Delila Prater: 2013 Harry Burke Special Education Award in the Outstanding Paraprofessional
- Angie Thigpen: 2013 Named One of Six Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Most Outstanding Crossing Guards
- Back to School Ice Cream Social
- Back to School Night
- Barrett Bazaar
- Book Fair
- CETA Arts Integration Night
- Field Day
- Holiday Shop
- Kindergarten Prep (K-Prep)
- Math Night
- PBIS School Dances
- School Play
- Talent Show
- Thanksgiving Community Open House
- Welcome Breakfast for New Parents
- Winter/Spring Concerts
Charles Barrett Data
Enrollment (as of 9/2015): 477 students
- African American: 18%
- Asian/Pacific Islander and American Indian: 2%
- Hispanic: 23%
- White: 53%
- Unspecified: 4%
Number of Licensed Staff: 33
With post-graduate degrees: 76%