George Mason Elementary School
George Mason Elementary School is dedicated to developing students' love of learning, academic excellence, and respect and appreciation for our community's diversity. To these ends, we prepare learners to utilize skills for a variety of purposes and in differing contexts. We seek academic excellence for all students built upon the mastery of basic skills through varied approaches to learning and teaching.
We provide experiences that foster academic, social, physical and cognitive growth. We prepare competent learners who are self-directed, self-evaluative risk takers. George Mason Elementary School provides the appropriate supportive, challenging, and nurturing environment to enhance this growth in harmony with the home and larger community.
- To create a climate of expectation in which everyone acts on the belief that all students can attain mastery of the essential academic and behavioral skills at each grade level.
- To create a school climate that promotes student recognition and student involvement in activities and organizations which correlate with academic and lifetime success.
- To provide a curriculum that has continuity and reflects a balance in all areas of learning.
- To establish a collaborative and cooperative partnership between school and community.
- To decrease the percentage of students scoring in the bottom quartile in reading and math as measured by standardized test data and criterion referenced tests data.
- To identify inhibitors of learning for low achieving K-3 students while trying to facilitate students' academic progress.
- To direct the instructional program for a diverse student population, while enforcing school board policies and regulations and State Standards of Accreditation.
- To implement instructional practices that enhance achievement for all George Mason students.
- To maintain open communication between parents and school.
Special Academic Programs
- Band (award-winning!)
- Integrated Curriculum
- Kindergarten Prep
- Science Specialist
- Talented and Gifted Programs
- After School Programs: academics, arts, athletics and culture
- Authors Visits
- Book Fair
- Family Literacy Initiatives
- Field Day
- Ice Cream Social
- Kindergarten Open House
- School Dance
- Volunteer Appreciation Night
- Winter and Spring Band, Orchestra and Choir Concerts
- Boy Scouts
- Campagna Center Day Care
- Girl Scouts
George Mason School Data
George Mason Elementary School is fully accredited and meets Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP). To learn more, review the Virginia School Report Card on the Virginia Department of Education Web site or review recent test scores.
Enrollment (as of 9/2017): 546 students
- African American: 6%
- Asian/Pacific Islander and American Indian: .5%
- Hispanic: 31%
- White: 59%
- Unspecified: 4%
Number of Teachers: 36
With post-graduate degrees: 64%
George Mason Elementary School was built in 1939. The building had two major renovations, in 1949 and 1977. Other building renovations took place in 1988, 1997 and 2005. In 2014 the school had an expansion which included an enlarged cafeteria, two courtyards and four new classrooms. The school serves children from the central section of the city and a section of the Arlandria neighborhood. George Mason is fully accredited by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Contact George Mason
George Mason Elementary School (K-5)
School Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 2:35 p.m.
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
2601 Cameron Mills Road
Alexandria, Virginia 22302
Main Office: 703-706-4470
Connect with Us