Dual Language Program
The Dual Language program in Alexandria City Public Schools is designed for families who would like their children to learn another language while receiving the same high quality academic curriculum as students throughout the division. Alexandria City Public Schools offers K-5 Spanish-English two-way dual language programs at John Adams Elementary School and Mount Vernon Community School.
Dual Language programs are a form of enrichment education based on over forty years of research showing the advantages of learning a second language through academic content instruction. The Spanish-English two-way immersion form of dual language is characterized as follows:
- Approximately half of students are from Spanish-speaking homes and half from homes in which English (or another language) is spoken
- Instruction integrates literacy and academic content knowledge in both languages
- Curriculum focuses on challenging, age-appropriate academic skills and knowledge aligned to high standards for all students
In keeping with the vision of Alexandria City Public Schools, the Dual Language Program aims to become an international model of excellence in two-way immersion education. The mission of the Dual Language Program is to provide an enriched bilingual, biliterate, and culturally competent educational experience for all students.
The goals of the program are for students to:
- listen, speak, read and write in two (or more) languages
- attain high levels of academic and social-emotional competence
- become lifelong cross-cultural learners and critical thinkers
Understanding Dual Language Programs
- Basic Overview of Dual Language Programs
- Frequently Asked Questions About Dual Language - Center for Applied Linguistics
- Why are Bilinguals Smarter?
Supporting Your Emerging Bilingual Child
Barbara D. Acosta, Ph.D.
Dual Language Coordinator
English Learning Office
Alexandria City Public Schools
1340 Braddock Place
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Dual Language Program Sites
Mount Vernon Community School
2601 Commonwealth Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22305
Peter Balas, Principal
John Adams Elementary School
5651 Rayburn Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22311
Jill Lee, Principal