Skip To Main Content

Main Navigation

Mobile Translate ( don't delete )

Mobile Utility

Header Holder

Header Right

Header Utility


Mobile Toggle ( don't delete )


Documentation Requirements

According to Virginia law, your child must be five years old on or before September 30. ALL of the following documents must be provided during the registration process.

  1. Child’s original or certified birth certificate
  2. Parent/legal guardian’s photo identification
  3. Custody documents, if applicable
  4. Official school records from another school system or country, if applicable and available.
  5. Medical information that includes immunization records as well as a physical examination and a tuberculosis screening done within the 12 months prior to starting school.
  6. Proof of City of Alexandria residency

Proof of Residency (3 total required documents)

All documents must note the registering parent/legal guardian or adult student’s full name and Alexandria City address. Only originals of documents will be accepted (no copies). Supporting documents must be current and where indicated, dated within the past 60 days.

You must submit ONE of the following: 

  • Lease or Rental Agreement: The original lease must be current (not expired) indicating the dates, names and property address for the parent/legal guardian who is enrolling the student. If the lease is a private generated agreement with the landlord the lease must be notarized.
  • Deed: The property deed must be accompanied by a copy of the owner’s personal property tax. This may be obtained (free of charge) on the City of Alexandria website. The deed must be in the parent/legal guardian name.
  • Mortgage: The resident may present a mortgage bill prepared by the lender (including date, Alexandria address and lender name) within 60 days of registration or the initial mortgage contract with current copy of the owner’s property tax. This may be obtained for free on the City of Alexandria website.

AND TWO supporting documents:

  • Utility bill (water, gas, electric, cable and/or landline phone bill). The bill must be dated within the past 30 days. If all utilities are covered in your leasing contract and you do not have any other bills, please provide a letter from your property manager on company letterhead that notes water, gas, sewer, electric are all included in the monthly rent.
  • Current Alexandria City Personal Property Tax (vehicle, RV, boat). Please note: Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles requires all personal property must be registered to the current address within 60 days of relocation.
  • Mailed letter from a government agency (TANIF, HUD, ARHA, IRS, etc.). The letter must be addressed to the parent/legal guardian or adult student.
  • Current pay stub (with Alexandria City address and noting Virginia tax withholding)
  • Latest federal/state income tax return noting the Alexandria City address
  • Two (2) consecutive bank statements mailed to the Alexandria City address
  • Current homeowner or renter’s insurance policy noting an Alexandria City address

Shared Housing

If residing with someone else, the parent/legal guardian must complete a notarized Shared Housing Form A/B (PDF) and provide an original copy of the mortgage, deed (with a tax bill) or an original copy of the lease for the person with whom the parent/legal guardian and child(ren) are living. Additionally, the parent/legal guardian is required to provide two supporting documents (in the parent/legal guardian’s name) as listed above.

NOTE: A driver’s license or state-issued ID does NOT serve as valid proof of residency.