Learn how to volunteer and contact a volunteer specialist
Thank you for your interest in volunteering! Alexandria City Public Schools (ACPS) encourages and welcomes volunteers in our schools. We invite parents, families, community members, and our many partners to get involved and support students throughout the year. Our volunteer activities vary from school to school, and volunteers can get involved and make a difference by helping with a wide variety of activities. All volunteers are required to adhere to the latest health and safety guidelines as established by ACPS. In addition to the latest information listed, please note that we highly encourage that all volunteers are fully vaccinated before filling out the application below.
Interested in volunteering with us?
To ensure the safety of our students, staff, and visitors, there are a few steps to complete before beginning your service. There is an updated application process as part of the new Visitor Management System, so please read the steps below and FAQ carefully.
Note: Please refrain from completing test applications or using the system to submit applications as examples for fellow volunteers if you are a partner program. As a part of the new system, background checks are automatically run and charged. Thanks in advance!
- Read and sign the mandatory online Code of Conduct that is part of the application. Once you have completed the volunteer application, the code of conduct will be able to be viewed. It needs to be reviewed in its entirety and signed. This is required for any volunteer (parent, community member, or partner) who regularly supports schools, chaperones a field trip, etc., and is available in multiple languages. Completion of the code of conduct guarantees that you as the volunteer understand the expectations of our organization.
- Complete the Volunteer Application Form. This form serves as an introduction to yourself and your interests and availability. The application process is managed online and through the secure online platform that we use for the Visitor Management System, Raptor Technologies. The application process includes a criminal and sex offender background check. Applicants will be asked to identify the activities they are interested in supporting, the school(s) where they want to volunteer, and if they are volunteering on behalf of a partner organization. Once your application is received, you will receive a generated email confirming receipt.When filling out the application, please note that applicants are required to complete all fields that are marked with an asterisk.
- Contact the school(s) where you wish to serve. Each volunteer will be informed as to the status of their application once completed. If you do not hear back about the status of your application within 7-10 business days, please contact your school’s Parent Liaison and let them know how you want to get involved. Once approved, your application is valid for two years. You will then be able to sign in at your school as a Volunteer.
Volunteers Under 18 Years of Age
If you are under 18, you will be required to obtain parental consent.
- You will need to read through the following directions and then at the bottom of the page is the button you must click. That button will take you to our electronic signature portal, DocHub.
- Once you go to DocHub, your parent/guardian will need to sign in/establish a sign-in by providing their name and email address. It will also ask them to establish a password.
- For some, it will ask them to check their email account for verification. Make sure to check your spam email folder as sometimes the verification will land in that type of folder.
- Your parent/guardian will then be able to access the consent form on DocHub. Where they will:
- Click "Fill A Copy"
- Click the "Agree To Use Electronic Records and Signatures"
- Type in the under 18 youth name
- Electronically sign and date the form
- Click "Finalize"
- When they complete the signing, our Volunteer Department will receive a notice and follow up with more information/confirmation. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us.
Additional Volunteer OpportunitiesIf you are interested in volunteering for our community and can not currently adhere to the latest health and safety guidelines, Alexandria has a volunteer organization that can guide you to additional opportunities.
- Who can be a volunteer?
- How do I find volunteer opportunities?
- How do I become a volunteer?
- Who needs to complete the application and code of conduct? Who is exempt?
- I want to learn more about being a visitor versus a volunteer.
- Why do I need to complete the code of conduct if I want to chaperone my student’s field trip?
- What is Raptor Technologies?
- How will ACPS know that I have completed the code of conduct?
- How long does it take to complete the volunteer process?
- After I’ve signed the code of conduct, can I begin volunteering?
- What procedures do I follow when volunteering?
- Who should I contact if I have questions or concerns about my role as a volunteer or required volunteer training?