Northern Virginia Juvenile Detention Center
The Northern Virginia Juvenile Detention Center School (NVJDCS) is a regional state-operated program whose local educational agency is ACPS. NVJDCS provides full-day educational services for school-aged students who are residing at the detention center. The school is a secure facility with a capacity of 70 students who are pre and post-judicial disposition. NVJDCS’ students are enrolled for short periods of time, ranging from 1 day to 1 year for pre-dispositional and up to 180 days for students in the post-disposition program. The school receives funding for school staff and instructional needs from the VDOE State Operating Programs, as well as Title I funds for the literacy coach position. All teachers are licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
What makes us unique?
- Students reside at detention center
- Short enrollment periods
- Rolling enrollment
- Multi-grade, multi-ability classes
- Educational transfer summaries used for students enrolled for more than five days
- Collaboration with detention center security staff
- School programming for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Division of Children Services/Unaccompanied Alien Children program/Office of Refugee and Resettlement (ORR)
- Secure facility
- Co-Teaching content areas
- Post-disposition program called New Beginnings
NVJDCS' academic program includes English, mathematics, social studies, and science. The school also offers:
- Project-based learning
- Art therapy with a certified art therapist each day
- Physical education classes each day with a certified P.E. teacher
- 3 certified English as a Second Language teachers
- 3 special education teachers/case managers
- 1 certified reading specialist
- Literacy period daily
- Character education program
- Pre GED and GED testing
Each classroom is equipped with a SMARTboard and laptops. iPads and Nooks are used regularly. SmartReponse clickers are also available.
Number of Licensed Staff: 14
Total number faculty and staff: 15
The Northern Virginia Juvenile Detention Center is a state-operated program with ACPS as the local educational agency. Our staff members adhere to state regulations for educating youth who are detained. All teachers are certified by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Awards and Honors
- NVJDCS: 2014 The National Evaluation and Technical Assistance Center for the Education of Children and Youth Who Are Neglected, Delinquent or At Risk (NDTAC) highlighted in program showcases
- Kathleen Fitzpatrick: 2013 ACPS Teacher of the Year
- Byron Brown: 2013 & 2014 National Endowment for the Humanities Award recipient
- NVJDCS: 2013 & 2014 Alexandria's Anti-Stigma HOPE Campaign featured NVJDC Students' Artwork
- NVJDCS: 2013 Winning entry in the national Week-in-Rap Shout-Out Contest
- NVJDCS: 2014 Recognized by the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and US Department of Education (DOE) as a model juvenile detention education program. School was chosen as the site for the release of the Guidance Package which included: Guiding Principals for Providing High Quality Education in Juvenile Justice Secure Care Setting.
- Kathleen Fitzpatrick: Fulbright Program, India 2016
- Bret Dunlap: James Madison Fellowship Program Recipient 2016
Northern Virginia Juvenile Detention Center (Grades 6-12)
200 South Whiting Street
Alexandria, VA 22304
Victor S. Martin Jr. Ed.D
Kennetra N. Wood
Executive Director of Equity & Alternative Programs
School Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 2:50 p.m.
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.