Office of the School Board
The Alexandria City School Board is a nine-member elected body that adopts policy for the daily operation of schools and sees that school laws are properly explained, enforced, and observed. The City is divided into three voting districts, and three Board Members are elected from each district. Each member serves a three-year term. The School Board Chair receives $17,000 and Board Members receive $15,000 per year.
The Alexandria City School Board will ensure that ALL students reach their highest academic potential and that they are prepared for citizenship, higher education, and the workforce. To accomplish this goal, we will make policy, budget, and leadership decisions that are aligned with our Vision and Strategic Plan; and we will communicate with and involve stakeholders actively and transparently.
The responsibilities of the School Board include:
- Establish policy: Set rules and adopt policies that affect each school in the division.
- Delegate authority: Hire and evaluate the superintendent of schools.
- Set annual budget: Ensure funding is used efficiently and effectively to meet the educational needs of children
- Engage the community: Listen to and respond to concerns; explain the division’s goals, priorities, values and conditions
The Alexandria City School Board will communicate with and involve stakeholders actively and transparently. The community is encouraged to contact the School Board to share questions, comments or concerns about the division’s goals, priorities, values and conditions.
- If you have a question about day-to-day operations of the division, the staff supporting Ask ACPS will be able to connect you with the information requested.
- For questions or issues involving a specific student, please start by contacting your child’s teacher, school support staff or the front office.
School Board Meetings
The Alexandria City School Board has resumed meeting in person in the School Board Meeting Room at 1340 Braddock Place at 6:30 p.m. unless noted otherwise. Members of the public may attend in person. Masks and social distancing are still required in ACPS facilities.
Alternately, School Board Meetings and Work Sessions may be attended live through Zoom (the Zoom link is posted at the top of each agenda and on the ACPS Calendar), watched live on the School Board Meetings webpage, or cable channel 71 in Alexandria. Afterward, recordings of these meetings and work sessions are posted to the ACPS website under Archived School Board Meetings.
Some agenda items from canceled school board meetings may be published as Board Briefs.
School Board Advisory Committee meetings are held virtually.
Joint Statement on Policies Affecting Transgender Students
Read the Sept. 19, 2022, joint statement from ACPS Interim Superintendent Dr. Melanie Kay-Wyatt and Alexandria City School Board Chair Meagan L. Alderton regarding Gov. Youngkin’s introduction of policies affecting transgender students: in English (PDF) | en español (PDF) | به زبان دری (PDF) | አማርኛ (PDF) | بالعربية (PDF)