Curriculum and Instruction
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction is responsible for ACPS 2020 Goal 1: Academic Excellence and Educational Equity. Our vision is to ensure every ACPS student is prepared and equipped for success in college, work, and life in a global society. We will accomplish this by using a curriculum that challenges, engages, and allows every student to experience a rigorous, relevant, and engaging learning environment that responds to his or her interests and challenges. We will also provide an inclusive organizational culture in which every student will develop habits and attitudes that reflect the principles of cultural inclusiveness, civic responsibility, and ethical and respectful behavior.
The Top 10 Priorities for Curriculum and Instruction for SY 2018 are:
- Analyze student achievement data to identify and implement instructional interventions to address identified "gap" areas, including interventions for rigor, engagement, and acceleration.
- Develop a division-wide Teaching and Learning Framework to reinforce the division's process for data analysis (plan-teach-assess-adjust).
- Implement the new Canvas learning management system, including expansion of the ACPS Lesson Exchange Program.
- Support teachers and administrators in successfully implementing the Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS).
- Align professional learning offerings with School Education Plans (SEPs).
- Implement strategies and best practices related to systemic coaching.
- Monitor instruction by conducting "look-fors" and "walk-throughs" to provide non-evaluative coaching and feedback to teachers and administrators.
- Continue to expand the implementation of Professional Learning Communities.
- Integrate reading and writing in the content areas to support student literacy and overall achievement.
- Use a project management approach to addressing problems of practice.