Documentation Requirements

  • According to Virginia law, your child must be five years old on or before September 30. When you come to school to register your child, please bring ALL of the required documents.

    1. Original Birth Certificate (or a Certified Birth Certificate)
    2. Proof of Guardianship (proof that the adult registering the child is the parent/legal guardian). Name on birth certificate should match the parent/guardian picture ID or court documents of legal custody.
    3. Official school records from another school system or country, if applicable and available.
    4. Medical information that includes immunization records as well as a physical examination and a tuberculosis screening done within the 12 months prior to starting school.

    Proof of Residency

    You must submit any ONE of the following documents for verification of residency within the City of Alexandria. Only originals of documents will be accepted (no copies). Supporting documents must be current and where indicated, dated within the past 60 days.

    • Lease agreement (current document with dates, legal guardian’s signature and address)
    • Deed, with a real-estate property tax receipt in the legal guardian’s name
    • Mortgage contract

    and TWO supporting documents noting parent’s/legal guardian’s name and property address:

    • Utility bill (water, gas, electric, cable, and/or landline phone)-within the past 60 days
    • Current personal Alexandria property tax bill/receipt (vehicle, boat, RV, etc.)
    • Mailed letter from a government agency (TANIF, HUD, IRS, etc.)
    • Current pay stub (noting Virginia tax withholding) within the past 60 days
    • Latest federal/state income tax return (cover page only)
    • 2 consecutive bank statements (mailed within the past 60 days)
    • Current vehicle registration from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
    • Current homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy

    Shared Housing:

    If residing with someone else, the parent/legal guardian or adult student must complete a notarized Shared Housing A/B Form and provide an original copy of the mortgage, deed (with a tax bill) or an original copy of the lease for the person with whom the parent/legal guardian or adult student and child(ren) are living. Additionally, the parent/legal guardian or adult student is required to provide two supporting documents (in the parent’s/legal guardian’s or adult student’s name) as listed above.

    NOTES: A driver's license or state-issued ID does NOT serve as valid proof of residency.