Substitute Teacher Information - Qualifications, Requirements and Pay Rates
Substitute Management System
Quick reference guides and training videos for the Frontline Substitute Assignment Manager:
- Campus Users
- a minimum of 48 hours of college credit
- evidence of a negative tuberculin test (or chest x-ray)
- a completed online application
- successful completion of an interview
- attend an orientation session (see below)
- a criminal background check (at the orientation session, you will schedule an appointment to return for fingerprinting – the cost to the applicant is $37)
Those who are interested in substitute teaching for the 2021-22 school year and who meet the above qualifications are asked to first complete an online application and upload their transcripts.
Upon successful completion of an interview, a mandatory Substitute Orientation will be held ACPS Central Office, on the fifth floor at 1340 Braddock Place, Alexandria, VA 22314.
New substitute teachers will be paid only upon becoming an active substitute in our system and working at least one day. Payment for the orientation session will be included in the first paycheck.
The schedule for the orientation is as follows:
8:30 a.m. – General Information - Substitute Assignment System (Frontline)
9:00 a.m. – Classroom Management - Best Practices
10:30 a.m. – Break
10:45 a.m. – Instructional Planning
12:00 p.m. – Lunch (on your own)
1:00 p.m. – English Learner Training
2:00 p.m. – Break
2:15 p.m. – Special Education Trainin
3:30 p.m. – Dismissal
Agendas are subject to change.
Pay Rates for Substitutes
Substitutes are paid in daily, or half-day increments. A half-day is defined as 3 hours and 45 minutes or less.
- Short Term Rate: $110 / day
- Long Term Rate: $157.59 / day
- Short Term Rate: $105 / day
- Long Term Rate: $105 / day
Administrator (valid license required)
- Short Term Rate: $183.86 / day
- Long Term Rate: $300 / day
School Nurse/Para III (valid license required)
- Short Term Rate: $200 / day
- Long Term Rate: $200 / day