Substitute Teacher Qualifications, Requirements and Pay Rates
- a minimum of 48 hours of college credit
- evidence of a negative tuberculin test (or chest x-ray)
- a completed online application
- successful completion of an interview
- attend an orientation session (see below)
- criminal background check — at the orientation session, you will schedule an appointment to return for fingerprinting (the cost to the applicant is $37)
Those who are interested in substitute teaching for the 2018-19 school year and who meet the above qualifications are asked to first complete and online application and upload their transcripts. Once complete please send an email expressing your interest in an interview to email@example.com. If you have any questions on this process please contact Maria Jones at (703) 619-8171.
Upon successful completion of an interview, a mandatory Substitute Orientation will be held ACPS Central Office, on the fifth floor at 1340 Braddock Place, Alexandria, VA 22314.
New substitute teachers will be paid only upon becoming an active substitute in our system and working at least one day. Payment for the orientation session will be included in the first paycheck.
The schedule for the orientation is as follows:
8:30 a.m. — General Information - SAM System
9:00 a.m. — Classroom Management - Best Practices
10:30 a.m. — Break
10:45 a.m. — Instructional Planning
12:00 p.m. — Lunch (on your own)
1:00 p.m. — ESL Training
2:00 p.m. — Break
2:15 p.m. — Special Education Training
3:30 p.m. — Dismissal
Agendas are subject to change.
Pay Rates for Substitutes
Substitutes are paid on daily, or half-day increments. A half-day is defined as 3 hours and 45 minutes or less.
Short Term Rate
Long Term Rate
School Nurse/Para III*
*Valid license required