The Virtual PLUS+ model
The model that ACPS is proposing to adopt in the fall is a Virtual PLUS+ model.
After months of detailed planning, research and community engagement, Superintendent Dr. Gregory C. Hutchings, Jr. is proposing that this is the model that is most feasible for ACPS for the start of the 2020-21 academic year.
The model puts the safety of our staff, students, and families at the forefront. In addition, the proposed feasible model takes into account the enormous logistical constraints posed by the global pandemic; input from our staff, students and families; and alignment with our ACPS strategic plan, Equity for All 2025. We are confident that through this framework we can deliver a robust, high-quality instructional program that ensures equity for all.
Please be aware that at this stage this is an outline of what is feasible. Our team will provide specific details regarding our comprehensive reopening plan at our School Board meeting on Friday, August 7, 2020.
What Is Virtual PLUS+?
The Virtual PLUS+ model provides teaching and learning within virtual classrooms while providing additional support that students, staff and families will need to navigate the new content being taught, build relationships with teachers and staff, and stay connected to the school community. Our “PLUS+” includes:
The “PLUS+” includes:
- Enhanced and formalized social, emotional and academic learning supports
- Childcare options with community partners
- Continued meal distribution
- Expanded technology resources
For more information:
- The Board Memo on the Continuity of Learning 4.0 - August 7, 2020
- School Board Presentation Slides - August 7, 2020
- The Continuity of Learning 4.0 School Board Presentation - August 7, 2020
ACPS believes that the Virtual PLUS+ model is a strong launch pad from which to build as the division continues to plan for the return of in-person schooling as soon as it is feasible.
We will continue to reevaluate how to expand services to build on this Virtual PLUS+ model.
Stay tuned for announcements regarding details of these supports, and for information about additional supports that will build on the outline of this Virtual PLUS+ model as we move closer to the September 8 start date.
- The Superintendent's Brief to the Alexandria City School Board from July 31, 2020 | En español (PDF) | አማርኛ (PDF) | بالعربية (PDF)
- Virtual PLUS+ News Release
- Highlights of Virtual PLUS+